WebService Design

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by JJ, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Hi All,

    Heres the scenario: I have a couple of xml feeds coming in from
    another company. I need, if possible a web service to check every so
    often for these xml files. The web service would parse the xml data out
    and check it against our database and maybe add some things to a new
    xml file to be sent out. Is this possible for a webservice to do? and
    if so what would we use in the webservice to cause a check event to be
    executed? A timer in a win app equivalent is what I need. If this is
    not a possible design. what is your thoughts of using a windows .net
    service instead?

    Also in the parsing of the xml file to weed out the data. I would
    assume the best way to approach this is to use xslt/xpath for
    extraction? Anybody have any examples in using xslt to extract data
    from an xml file in c# ?

    Thanks,

    JJ
    JJ, Nov 4, 2005

  2. JJ

    Peter Kelcey Guest

    JJ

    A windows service is the solution you should be using in this case. A
    webservice is best suited for integrating two or more separate
    applications and for facilitating easy communication between them. Web
    services are really designed to work under a request/response pattern
    where a client application makes a call to consume the web service. The
    call from the consumer is what triggers the web service to start. In
    the model you've proposed, you would need to have a client repeatedly
    calling your web service.

    A windows service is exactly what you need here. It can be setup to
    repeatedly scan a directory to look for new XML files and then perform
    whatever processing you need.

    Hope that helps

    Peter Kelcey
    Peter Kelcey, Nov 4, 2005