    I need some information about how to run a C# generated webservice on
    apache.

    Any source on the internet is welcome...
    T.U.F.F., Apr 15, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Your only option at the moment is to use the Mono project's Apache module.
    This means ofcourse that you will be running your asp.net apps through the
    mono virtual machine.

    See this page for more information: http://www.go-mono.com/asp-net.html

    You can run the environment under Linux or Windows.

    Regards,

    Luke Venediger
    http://blogdotnet.blogspot.com

    Luke Venediger, Apr 16, 2004

  3. It depends on what the OP intended by "run a C#-generated webservice on
    Apache" .

    If you want to host logic as a webservice within an apache-based webplex,
    then there are a number of options:

    1. use the Apache module mentioned previously. [1]. I believe the Apache
    module is part of the mono project but IIANM, it is not a requirement that
    the ASP.NET runtime be Mono's. In other words you could use the Apache
    module (mod_mono) to launch a MS .NET-based webservice, or a mono-based
    webservice. However, hosting Microsoft's ASP.NET from mod_mono is probably
    not a scenario that MS Premiere support will help you with. Also Mono is
    still a work-in-progress project - not completed or completely stable yet,
    as far as I know.

    2. If you want a simpler, more mainstream approach, you can Reverseproxy
    from Apache HTTPD to IIS5/6, which hosts the ASP.NET (ASMX C#) logic. The
    existing Apache-based web farm remains. You add a new IIS box, or possibly
    just turn on IIS on one of the existing boxes. Of course this box can be
    (should be?) different from the front-end HTTP, and can be (should be?)
    separated from that front end by a firewall layer, using IPSec or
    what-have-you. This is a fully supported scenario.

    3. There used to be a commercial product from Covalent that did this. I
    haven't seen it very much. I think the company end-of-life'd it. [2] It is
    like Mono's Apache module, but I think the Covalent thing required the
    covalent Apache 2.0 server - in other words you cannot use just any Apache.

    If on the other hand you did not intend to run the webservice on top of an
    Apache HTTP, but instead you want to ACCESS the C#-based webservice from an
    Apache-based runtime - NB: Apache produces a couple of distinct webservices
    runtimes for Java, one is Apache SOAP [3] and the other Apache AXIS [4] -
    then that is fairly straightforward. Here we are talking about interop
    between Apache SOAP or AXIS and .NET, rather than hosting ASP.NET on Apache
    HTTPD.

    [1] http://www.go-mono.com/asp-net.html
    [2] http://www.covalent.net/support/support_announcement.html
    [3] http://ws.apache.org/soap/index.html