    plugins?

    Thanks, Friedrich
    , Sep 20, 2007

  2. wrote:

    *

    > want to write an applet/application embedded in a website, that can
    >access users networking, file system and the web cam. The applet/
    >application should be able to interact with other website components
    >using Javascript.
    >
    >Does Java webstart the job?

    No. JWS based applications or applets cannot be
    controlled (or configured) using JavaScript. Perhaps this
    demo. of the applet and application forms of JTest can
    describe it better for you..
    <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

    >- Access harddrive. ok

    Yep. JWS apps. can do that if signed and trusted,
    but if using the JNLP API to access files, it can even be
    achieved in a sandboxed app. See demo here..
    <http://www.physci.org/jws/#fs>

    >- Access networking. ?

    Yep. JWS sandboxed apps. can 'phone home' to the
    originating server. Fully trusted apps. can access any
    site (assuming the site itself allows access to Java apps.).

    >- Access webcam.?

    Yup. Requires a signed and trusted app., Sun is not
    about to allow 'us' to 'eavesdrop' on the user without
    full trust.

    >- Embedded in a website and interacting with other components. ?

    That is the tricky bit. It is basically only open to
    either an..
    a) Applet embedded in a web page**. Or less 'interactive'..
    b) Java Web Start apps. that are configured on the
    fly using an active server to generate unique launch
    (JNLP) files.

    ** Trying to get any sort of applet working in an embedded
    web page (reliably) is difficult enough, throw in JS interaction,
    and you are looking at 'a world of trouble'.

    >Or is there another way to do this besides writing my own browser
    >plugins?

    * Note that the word 'I' is always Upper Case in English.
    *Always* - no exceptions.

    Oh, and my slang use of 'Yep' and 'Yup' simply translates
    to 'Yes'.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 20, 2007

  3. Ben Phillips Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > * Note that the word 'I' is always Upper Case in English.
    > *Always* - no exceptions.

    Might also want to tell him that when he's writing the name of his
    application to appear in window title bars he should remember that
    there's no letter 'I' in "spyware" either...;)
    Ben Phillips, Sep 21, 2007
  4. Ben Phillips wrote:
    >> * Note that the word 'I' is always Upper Case in English.
    >> *Always* - no exceptions.

    >Might also want to tell him that when he's writing the name of his
    >application to appear in window title bars he should remember that
    >there's no letter 'I' in "spyware" either...;)

    A spy that comes with all the warnings of a trusted
    Java app., or one in a sandbox that uses the JNLP
    methods, is not so much a 'Die Nadel' level of spy
    (never realise who he is until he punctures your heart
    with his stilleto knife), but more a James Bond
    (all explosions, fast cars and trashy women).

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 21, 2007
  5. Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:53:12 -0000, ""
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >Does Java webstart the job?
    >- Access harddrive. ok
    >- Access networking. ?
    >- Access webcam.?
    >- Embedded in a website and interacting with other components. ?
    >
    >Or is there another way to do this besides writing my own browser
    >plugins?

    There are two choices, both require signing the code.

    Signed Applet, see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/signedapplet.html
    and Java Web Start see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html

    This looks complicated. Most likely you will be happiest with
    JAWS,especially if you have aux jars to load. With a signed Applet,
    you must fit into a tight mould.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary