Weird problem with a TEXTAREA inside a DIV with margin-left

Logical

SpaceGirl said:
Try setting the width property on the text area itself, rather than the
DIV. The same rendering problem is visible in FireFox as well.

No luck setting width on the text area. Which version of FireFox are you
using? I don't seem to get the problem in 9.2

Logical

Logical said:
No luck setting width on the text area. Which version of FireFox are you
using? I don't seem to get the problem in 9.2

Sorry, further to that:

It works if I remove the width: on the surrounding DIV, but that leaves me
with a problem since I wanted to use that DIV to keep things within 600px. A
nested div would be oh so ugly.

boclair

Logical said:
Problem is illustrated at http://oi.lotushosting.net/right.htm

Only happens in Internet Explorer as far as I can tell.

Is it a bug? Any suggestions for work arounds?

This does seem to be a rendering problem in IE, irrespective of the DOCTYPE.

TEXTAREA should be contained in another element. IE is not recognizing that
it is contained in a
I realise that this is an exercise but normally newlines would not being
forced by <br>. Each line of content would be contained in a block element.

If TEXTAREA is contained in a separate block element the rendering is
corrected. Also the following the INPUT needs to be contained with the
TEXTAREA or a separate block element or the rendering problem will occur on
the INPUT

BTW, if the textarea, at 80 cols will break out of the containing div of
width, 600px. It is better to use CSS and %widths to set the width of the
textarea. style="width:?%;height:?px;" for example instead of the rows and
cols attributes

Suggest
<textarea name=".." style="width:100%; height:150px;">...</textarea>
<input style="width:15%;" value="...">

Louise

boclair

Mark Parnell said:
Why? My browser canvas has about 1000px available across it. Why would
you only want to use 60% of it?

And what about someone who has less than 600px available? You want them
to have to scroll horizontally?

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

The rendering problem occurs whether fixed width or relative width units are
declared.

This seems to be a scrap. Perhaps this is not all the content to be
displayed across the page?

Louise

Logical

boclair said:
The rendering problem occurs whether fixed width or relative width units are
declared.

This seems to be a scrap. Perhaps this is not all the content to be
displayed across the page?

Correct. This DIV is intended to have a background to differtiate it from
the rest of the content (a CMS editting page in this case). It is being
designed for a specific environment where I can ensure the user has at least
a 800x600 resolution avaliable.

And back to the question.. any ideas beside putting another DIV around it?

Logical

boclair said:

[...]

That sounds like the wisest and most practical solution.

Thanks.

Mark Parnell

It is being
designed for a specific environment where I can ensure the user has at least
a 800x600 resolution avaliable.

Can you also guarantee they will have their browser window maximised?