    regular expression in C and/or functions that deals with networking in
    standard C?

    , Jun 10, 2008

  2. On 10 Jun 2008 at 17:13, wrote:
    > I am planning to write a web crawler in standard C. I can't seem to
    > find standard libraries provided by C that deals with networks and
    > regular expression. Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
    > regular expression in C

    The POSIX regular expression functions regcomp, regexec, regerror,
    regfree might be a good starting point.

    > and/or functions that deals with networking in standard C?

    For a web crawler, libcurl would be a good choice.

    Antoninus Twink, Jun 10, 2008

  3. On Jun 10, 1:13 pm, wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    > I am planning to write a web crawler in standard C. I can't seem to
    > find standard libraries provided by C that deals with networks and
    > regular expression. Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
    > regular expression in C and/or functions that deals with networking in
    > standard C?

    Mu. Networking is not covered by the C standard; it is covered by
    other standards such as POSIX and SUS, as well as by platform APIs
    like Winsock or NSSocket.

    Likewise regular expressions.

    -o

    Owen Jacobson, Jun 10, 2008
  4. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >I am planning to write a web crawler in standard C. I can't seem to
    >find standard libraries provided by C that deals with networks and
    >regular expression. Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
    >regular expression in C and/or functions that deals with networking in
    >standard C?

    There are no standard C libraries that deal with networking: networking
    is -always- system dependant. You might get lucky and find
    a networking library that deals with all of the operating systems
    that you are interested in.

    Regular expressions are text processing, so you should be able to
    find portable regular expression libraries; C itself doesn't happen
    to provide any.

    --
    "I will speculate that [...] applications [...] could actually see a
    performance boost for most users by going dual-core [...] because it

    Walter Roberson, Jun 10, 2008
  5. user923005 Guest

    On Jun 10, 10:13 am, wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    > I am planning to write a web crawler in standard C. I can't seem to
    > find standard libraries provided by C that deals with networks and
    > regular expression. Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
    > regular expression in C and/or functions that deals with networking in
    > standard C?

    There aren't any. The answer is to use a library. This one is nice:
    http://legacy.imatix.com/html/sfl/

    Unfortunately, it looks like nobody is putting any effort into it
    these days. It would be nice if it would get hosted on SourceForge.

    user923005, Jun 10, 2008
  6. mb Guest

    On Jun 10, 11:13 am, wrote:
    > Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
    > regular expression in C and/or functions that deals with networking in
    > standard C?

    Neither of the below are standard C, but work on a many platforms:

    http://www.gnetlibrary.org
    "GNet is a simple network library. It is written in C, object-
    oriented, and built upon GLib. It is intended to be easy to use and
    port. GNet comes with documentation and examples. It is licensed under
    the GNU Library General Public License."

    "GNet has been ported to Linux, *BSD, MacOSX, Solaris, HP, and
    Windows. It may work on other flavors of Unix too."

    http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/
    GLib wraps the PCRE regular expression library into an easier to use
    interface, and it includes all sorts of utility functions/abstractions
    like containers, threading, strings, etc.

    mb, Jun 10, 2008