    qualification for the rank of master

    What constitutes a masterpiece in Perl?

    , Feb 8, 2005

    writes:

    > What constitutes a masterpiece in Perl?

    Try exercises Chapter~16 of Learning Perl (3rd ed).

    That was the most satisfying hour I've spent since
    I hit puberty.

    , Feb 8, 2005

    wrote:
    > masterpiece(noun)
    > 1 : a work done with extraordinary skill; especially : a supreme
    > intellectual or artistic achievement
    > 2 : a piece of work presented to a medieval guild as evidence of
    > qualification for the rank of master
    >

    > What constitutes a masterpiece in Perl?

    #!/usr/bin/perl

    use Net::NNTP;

    my $nntp = Net::NNTP->new("news.server");

    my $groups = $nntp->list();
    for (keys %$groups)
    {
    print "group: $_\n";
    $nntp->group($_);
    my %spam;
    my %extra_spam;
    while (my $a = $nntp->head())
    {
    for (@$a)
    {
    if (/^from:/i)
    {
    /<(.*)>/;
    $spam{$1}++ if $1;
    $extra_spam{$1}++ if $1 =~ /NOSPAM/;
    print $1, "\n" if $1;
    $nntp->next();
    $nntp->quit;

    , Feb 8, 2005
  4. John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > masterpiece(noun)
    > 1 : a work done with extraordinary skill; especially : a supreme
    > intellectual or artistic achievement
    > 2 : a piece of work presented to a medieval guild as evidence of
    > qualification for the rank of master
    >
    > What constitutes a masterpiece in Perl?

    Putting something at CPAN and have it mentioned here at least once a month
    as something that helps to make a task easier.

    John Bokma, Feb 8, 2005