what does "/usr/bin/perl: relocation error:" mean?

Sara

Perl was running fine on this box last night, now I get this error:

../user.pl
/usr/bin/perl: relocation error:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_rxres_fr

uhhhhh.. OK? I searched news for "Perl_rxres_fr" - is this the first
time this ever happened?

Thanks!

Anno Siegel

Sara said:
Perl was running fine on this box last night, now I get this error:

./user.pl
/usr/bin/perl: relocation error:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_rxres_fr

uhhhhh.. OK? I searched news for "Perl_rxres_fr" - is this the first
time this ever happened?

It's not a Perl error, your system can't load Perl, or probably something
Perl wants to load dynamically. Does perl run by itself (/usr/bin/perl
-e '')? What non-core modules does "user.pl" use? Could there be a
version mixup?

The prefix "Perl_" was introduced to some of the symbols in the perl core
rather late in the game, and some XS modules have taken even longer to
catch up. There may still be some that haven't.

Anno

Sara

It's not a Perl error, your system can't load Perl, or probably something
Perl wants to load dynamically. Does perl run by itself (/usr/bin/perl
-e '')? What non-core modules does "user.pl" use? Could there be a
version mixup?

The prefix "Perl_" was introduced to some of the symbols in the perl core
rather late in the game, and some XS modules have taken even longer to
catch up. There may still be some that haven't.

Anno

Good day and Thank-You Anno:

** Perl sees to run OK here:

[tux@tux perl]$ perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2002, Larry Wall

** and this little program is OK:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

print "Hi Anno its me Perl!\n\n";

** But this program which was running FINE last night, and has had no
changes since then (I compared it with the last EMACS ~ file and the
only diff is an edit I made). ALso there have been no system installs
or updates:

#!/usr/bin/perl -wd

use LWP::UserAgent;
use LWP::Simple;
use HTTP::Request::Common qw(POST);
use HTTP::Cookies;

use Net::Nslookup;

use lib qw(sql);
use SNsql;
use IPsql;

use DBI;

Sara

[...]

.
.
quite a few more lines.......

Perhaps tonight it will run OK again? Very odd!

/usr/bin/perl: relocation error:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_rxres_fr

Perhaps I need to edit libperl.so to investigate the missing symbol?

As I suspected, inexpliquably, Perl once again is working like a
champ. Don;t know why it broke, don't know why its working again..

Thanks Anno I guess Time DOES heal all!