What does volatile guarantee?

Arne Vajhøj

I'll bet lots and lots of money that in 2010 that point #1 is no longer
the case. I'm not convinced that it was _ever_ the case. In 2010 point
#2 is also likely not the case, and although point #3 may be true, I'm
glad you used the word "use" and not "knew well".

I feel old.

What do you do with developers > age 40?

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

That is, it's always computed, whether it's used or not.

At least if it is compiled separately. With inline code a good
optimizer may have a chance.

Arne

Roedy Green

No, the text is not thin, it's just faint, with low contrast, but
readable. It looks almost transparent, which is what you asked about
initially.

Could you please email me a screen shot. Also run
http://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html

And send me the list of fonts you have installed.

or if you are feeling brave, fiddle with mindprod.css and jdisplay.css
till you figure out just what in them in causing the strange
rendering.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded.
~ Virginia Woolf (born: 1882-01-25 died: 1941-03-28 at age: 59)

EJP

I know, but the ++something is better than something++
because it is faster is rooted in C++ classes I believe.

It is rooted in the PDP-11 and Vax architectures, which had
pre-increment and post-decrement instructions, but not vice versa.

Robert Klemme

Java programming must really stink to you, with all those red herrings.

I would be surprised to learn that. Why else should Lew do Java
programming and post so frequently here? In fact, I suspect he does not
only like Java programming but also a good argument once in a while. ;-)
Whenever I look, there is almost certainly a profound posting by him
in c.l.j - although I would concede that some might have to adjust to
his style of writing. :)

Kind regards

robert

Mike Schilling

EJP said:
It is rooted in the PDP-11 and Vax architectures, which had
pre-increment and post-decrement instructions, but not vice versa.

No, that's not even remotely true.

Lars Enderin

Roedy said:
Could you please email me a screen shot. Also run
http://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html

Sorry, but you are asking too much from me. I am sorry I commented at
all. The fontshower applet alone is enough to turn me off. I says:
Sorry, you need Java 1.5+ to run this Applet.
I have Java 1.6!
And send me the list of fonts you have installed.

or if you are feeling brave, fiddle with mindprod.css and jdisplay.css
till you figure out just what in them in causing the strange
rendering.

Don't worry. Your page is readable.

Andreas Leitgeb

Arne Vajhøj said:
I feel old.
What do you do with developers > age 40?

Old Java-programmers never die, they ...
... are just garbage collected. (found on google)
... just no longer implement the relevant interfaces.

Andreas Leitgeb

That wasn't meant seriously, of course :)

I'd still dare to bet, that when red herrings are mentioned in any
particular argument here, then in almost all(*) of the cases it's Lew
who brought them in. :)
Whenever I look, there is almost certainly a profound posting by him
in c.l.j - although I would concede that some might have to adjust to
his style of writing. :)

Btw., he was right on that point, too, because, as op='s are defined,
they're just impossible to be atomical - because the old value of left
side must be obtained before the right side is even begun to be evaluated.
That just cannot be compatibly redefined.

*: "almost all": all, but a finite number...

Mike Schilling

Andreas said:
Old Java-programmers never die, they ...
... are just garbage collected. (found on google)
... just no longer implement the relevant interfaces.

Are merely deprecated.

Eric Sosman

It is rooted in the PDP-11 and Vax architectures, which had
pre-increment and post-decrement instructions, but not vice versa.

"[...] People often guess that [++ and --] were created to use
the auto-increment and auto-decrement address modes provided by
the DEC PDP-11 on which C and Unix first became popular. This is
historically impossible, since there was no PDP-11 when B was
developed. [...]"

- Dennis M. Ritchie, "The Development of the C Language"
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html

Lew

Lars said:
The fontshower applet alone is enough to turn me off. I says:
Sorry, you need Java 1.5+ to run this Applet.
I have Java 1.6!

Why is that a problem? You meet the requirement.

Mike Schilling

Lew said:
Why is that a problem? You meet the requirement.

But the message says that he doesn't. Perhaps he has a 1.6 JDK installed,
but the JRE used by the browser is only at 1.4.

Lew

Mike said:
But the message says that he doesn't. Perhaps he has a 1.6 JDK installed,
but the JRE used by the browser is only at 1.4.

That's not what the message says. It says that he has Java 6 and doesn't even
mention a JDK. It also doesn't actually say that he has a problem, only that
the applet's requirement turns him off, an emotional response. My question is
based on the (observable) fact that Lars's post doesn't provide enough
information to explain why or if there's a technical problem. What little
information it does provide hints that there is no technical problem, leaving
his emotional response unexplained. Asking for additional information from
the one who has it is entirely appropriate. I suggest that we let Lars answer
the question instead of inventing stuff on his behalf.

Mike Schilling

Lew said:
That's not what the message says. It says that he has Java 6 and
doesn't even mention a JDK. It also doesn't actually say that he has
a problem, only that the applet's requirement turns him off, an
emotional response.

I read it differently: that the applet issues the error message "Sorry, you
need Java 1.5+ to run this Applet", but this makes no sense to Lars because
he has Java 1.6.

Lew

Mike said:
I read it differently: that the applet issues the error message "Sorry, you
need Java 1.5+ to run this Applet", but this makes no sense to Lars because
he has Java 1.6.

That's how I read it, too, although both of us had to infer to make that
interpretation. Especially because that objection doesn't make sense.
According to that interpretation, Lars's system meets the requirement.
Leaving the question, "Why is that a problem?"

Lars Enderin

Mike said:
I read it differently: that the applet issues the error message "Sorry, you
need Java 1.5+ to run this Applet", but this makes no sense to Lars because
he has Java 1.6.
Ok, I may not have Java correctly installed in my browser. I can't be
bothered to do it at the moment.

Mike Schilling

Lew said:
That's how I read it, too, although both of us had to infer to make
that interpretation. Especially because that objection doesn't make
sense. According to that interpretation, Lars's system meets the
requirement.
Yes.

Leaving the question, "Why is that a problem?"

Because the applet doesn't recognize that it does.