What drives John Rivers?

Bob Robertson

Mr. Rivers is certainly an interesting fellow. I'm relatively new to
this group and came across quite a few of his postings. His postings
usually contain the following:

-A pretty decent idea, usually well thought out (at least from a certain
vantage point)
-A comment or two touting his brilliance, or stating how 'easy' it is to
solve a particular problem
-An insult to others who do not 1) agree with his logic or 2)
'understand' (in his opinion) the brilliance and dare I say 'genius' in
his solution.

Of course the community generally gets irritated by his arrogance and
argues with him, puts him down, ignores him, whatever - the standard
stuff you would expect. His behavior got me thinking...what drives a
fellow like him? Here are a few guesses:

-He knows he's fairly intelligent, but that's about all he has going for
him in his life.
-He needs to assert his intelligence - basically validate himself....his
"identity" is clearly and firmly attached to having others recognize
his one and only saving grace.
-He views both negative and positive responses to his assertions as a
sort of validation of himself (negative are much easier to arrive for
him so that's where he usually goes)
-He most likely doesn't have many (if any) GOOD friends
-He either doesn't have a wife/girlfriend, and if he does, she is the
quiet type who would never 'challenge' his authority.
-Although outwardly arrogant/confident, he has serious confidence issues
he battles with on a daily basis.

Just something to remember folks when dealing with this guy. He's
someone not worthy of your ire, more likely he is worthy of your pity.

Bob

Stefan

Bob,

every message board or community site has a John Rivers type of
contributor. And while the psychology of this kind of personality is
certainly interesting I don't think it's worth fueling the fire and his
ego with this sort of post. Instead, let's focus on the more "boring"
logicalities of developing in ASP.Net and leave the depths of the human
mind to alt.psychology.personality

John Rivers

Thankyou for that,

everybody's favorite topic is themself - so that hit the spot nicely :)

I read this to my wife and she wants a word with you ... you will
recognise
her as the wild screaming beauty on a massive galloping horse with a
sabre glinting in the moonlight!