    thousands of parallel computers for this? Or something else?

    Anybody, any idea??

    thanx in advance......

    junky_fellow, Feb 13, 2004

  2. junky_fellow <> spoke thus:

    > Each time i submit some pattern to "google", it shows search
    > took 0.XX seconds for exploring millions of web pages.

    That's nice.

    > So, what does google do for searching a pattern. Does it use
    > thousands of parallel computers for this? Or something else?

    (Why don't you Google for it? Yuk yuk yuk!)

    Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

    http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/dj3vande/clc/clc-welcome.txt

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Feb 13, 2004

  3. junky_fellow

    Richard Bos Guest

    (junky_fellow) wrote:

    > So, what does google do for searching a pattern.

    Why are you asking this in a newsgroup for C programming? It has nothing
    whatsoever to do with us.

    Ask Google, if they will tell you. Frankly, I doubt they'll show their
    tricks to a random passer-by.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Feb 13, 2004
  4. junky_fellow

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> (junky_fellow) writes:

    >Each time i submit some pattern to "google", it shows search
    >took 0.XX seconds for exploring millions of web pages.
    >
    >When i look for efficient ways of searching a string, they always
    >say compare your string with the strings in the file one by one.
    >if there are millions of web pages then these algorithms would
    >take considerable amount of time.
    >
    >So, what does google do for searching a pattern. Does it use
    >thousands of parallel computers for this? Or something else?
    >
    >Anybody, any idea??

    And your C question was?...

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Feb 13, 2004
  5. [OT] Re: what "google" do to search a pattern

    Richard Bos wrote:
    > (junky_fellow) wrote:
    >

    >>So, what does google do for searching a pattern.

    > Why are you asking this in a newsgroup for C programming? It has nothing
    > whatsoever to do with us.

    Right.

    > Ask Google, if they will tell you. Frankly, I doubt they'll show their
    > tricks to a random passer-by.

    However, note that there exists an open-source web indexing project,
    called Nutch, that, being open-source, will show its tricks to anyone
    interested.

    --
    Bertrand Mollinier Toublet
    Currently looking for employment in the San Francisco Bay Area

    Bertrand Mollinier Toublet, Feb 13, 2004
  6. junky_fellow

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT] what "google" do to search a pattern

    "junky_fellow" <> wrote in message
    > Each time i submit some pattern to "google", it shows search
    > took 0.XX seconds for exploring millions of web pages.
    >
    > When i look for efficient ways of searching a string, they always
    > say compare your string with the strings in the file one by one.
    > if there are millions of web pages then these algorithms would
    > take considerable amount of time.
    >
    > So, what does google do for searching a pattern. Does it use
    > thousands of parallel computers for this? Or something else?
    >
    > Anybody, any idea??

    This is completely off-topic for clc, but...

    1) As a database person, 'index' immediately springs
    to my mind. :)

    2) When you look up a phone number in a printed directory,
    do you check every word on every page? :)

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Feb 13, 2004