What happened to Ruby on PocketPC?

Dido Sevilla

I was in Akihabara a couple of weeks ago, and among other things I
managed to pick up a little HP iPAQ rz3100 (At about 32,000$B1_(B, I think
that was something of a bargain; but don't ask me exactly where I
found it). One of my first priorities on getting it was finding a way
to write simple applications for it, and naturally I would have
preferred doing it with my favorite programming language. Googling for
Ruby on PocketPC found some mentions on the mailing list, none of
which were more recent than 2002, and an apparently extinct module on
the ruby-lang.org CVS. What happened to this project?

Dave Burt

Dido Sevilla said:
I was in Akihabara a couple of weeks ago, and among other things I
managed to pick up a little HP iPAQ rz3100 (At about 32,000$B1_(B, I think
that was something of a bargain; but don't ask me exactly where I
found it). One of my first priorities on getting it was finding a way
to write simple applications for it, and naturally I would have
preferred doing it with my favorite programming language. Googling for
Ruby on PocketPC found some mentions on the mailing list, none of
which were more recent than 2002, and an apparently extinct module on
the ruby-lang.org CVS. What happened to this project?

This information is from Marcel Toele, who kindly gave it to me, and who I
trust would not mind my passing it on.

Binary builds of Ruby 1.8.1 for most PPC architectures are available at:
http://uema2.s8.xrea.com/ruby-mswince/

There are apparently problems with strings, perhaps something to do with
single vs. multi-byte orientation, and watch out for relative paths failing
due perhaps to the operating system.

Ruby 1.8.2 is apparently seriously broken with respect to windows ce. I'm
glad to have someone else tell me this, because I spent a bit of time trying
to build it and failing.

Happy Pocket-rubying,
Dave

Dave Burt

A little more info...

There are more recent posts on the mailing list, at least 2 in the last year
(one of which was me asking for help building 1.8.2 - probably no useful
info there).

/wince/ in the source tree should be useful for building for PPC. Check
README in that directory for build info. As I said, though, I couldn't get
1.8.2 to build. I know 1.8.1 has been built somewhat successfully.

Cheers,
Dave