What is a stable way to use postgres with Ruby?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by stephen.tashiro@us.army.mil, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. Guest

    >From the web, I gather the "postgres ruby extension" and "postgres pure
    ruby" are two different ways to use SQL from ruby via postgres. Are
    the two methods about the same with respect to their "maturity" and
    stability?

    On the postgres ruby extension page:
    http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/

    Are the "snapshot" versions are meant to be beta versions or are they
    stable? ( Is the last stable release really from 2003 ?)

    And, by the way, what is a *.gem file?

    , Mar 23, 2006

    wrote:
    > >From the web, I gather the "postgres ruby extension" and "postgres pure

    > ruby" are two different ways to use SQL from ruby via postgres. Are
    > the two methods about the same with respect to their "maturity" and
    > stability?
    >
    > On the postgres ruby extension page:
    > http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/
    >
    > Are the "snapshot" versions are meant to be beta versions or are they
    > stable? ( Is the last stable release really from 2003 ?)
    >
    > And, by the way, what is a *.gem file?

    >From the OCS Solutions website:

    "What is a Ruby Gem?
    A Ruby gem is a plugin that adds functionality to the Ruby programming
    lanaguage. We always keep up to date with the latest and most popular
    Ruby gems."

    This leaves the questions:
    Does the
    http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/archive/ruby-postgres-20051221.tar.gz
    compile to produce a gem?
    Is the file
    http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/archive/ruby-postgres-0.7.1.2005.12.21.gem
    different that the one the .tar.gz file would compile to?

    , Mar 23, 2006

  3. Eric Hodel Guest

    On Mar 23, 2006, at 2:08 PM, wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>> From the web, I gather the "postgres ruby extension" and
    >>> "postgres pure

    >> ruby" are two different ways to use SQL from ruby via postgres. Are
    >> the two methods about the same with respect to their "maturity" and
    >> stability?
    >>
    >> On the postgres ruby extension page:
    >> http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/
    >>
    >> Are the "snapshot" versions are meant to be beta versions or are they
    >> stable? ( Is the last stable release really from 2003 ?)
    >>
    >> And, by the way, what is a *.gem file?

    >> From the OCS Solutions website:

    > "What is a Ruby Gem?
    > A Ruby gem is a plugin that adds functionality to the Ruby programming
    > lanaguage. We always keep up to date with the latest and most popular
    > Ruby gems."

    Its a way of distributing ruby libraries and applications similar to
    Perl's CPAN or FreeBSD packages or ...

    > This leaves the questions:
    > Does the
    > http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/archive/ruby-
    > postgres-20051221.tar.gz
    > compile to produce a gem?

    Gems can contain binaries but typically don't.

    > Is the file
    > http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/archive/ruby-
    > postgres-0.7.1.2005.12.21.gem
    > different that the one the .tar.gz file would compile to?

    The gem is capable of doing all the install work for you with the
    single command:

    sudo gem install ruby-postgres-0.7.1.2005.12.21.gem

    Note that you may have to specify the paths to your postgres library
    and include files, but you'd have to do that with the tar.gz also.

    gem install is the only important difference between the two.

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://blog.segment7.net

    http://trackmap.robotcoop.com

    Eric Hodel, Mar 23, 2006