    can write a jsp that takes parameters and send them in an xml format.
    The client can parse that xml and take the result. What is the
    difference of web service from this. Can someone tell me?
    pleasenta, Nov 17, 2006

  2. pleasenta

    Scott M. Guest

    A WebService is not just a request that returns XML. It is a remote
    procedure call that happens over HTTP (via SOAP) in XML and the response
    from the remote procedure is in XML format.

    The point of a WebService is to remotely (over HTTP) invoke some class's
    methods. The request and the responses are made in standardized XML and
    SOAP calls.

    Scott M., Nov 17, 2006

  3. pleasenta

    pleasenta Guest

    Scott M. yazdi:
    > A WebService is not just a request that returns XML. It is a remote
    > procedure call that happens over HTTP (via SOAP) in XML and the response
    > from the remote procedure is in XML format.
    >
    > The point of a WebService is to remotely (over HTTP) invoke some class's
    > methods. The request and the responses are made in standardized XML and
    > SOAP calls.

    Does "to remotely invoke some class's methods" means that I create an
    object and call its method in the server side instead of my computer?
    If it is so, does the object is destroyed after sending the xml.
    pleasenta, Nov 17, 2006
  4. pleasenta

    Scott M. Guest

    > Does "to remotely invoke some class's methods" means that I create an
    > object and call its method in the server side instead of my computer?

    Usually, a web server would be the client (consumer) of a web service. It
    calls the web service (which runs on a different server). The web server
    hosting the service returns the result back to the first web server and that
    web server can use the results in a response that it would send to a client
    (a person sitting at their pc looking at a web page or, yet another server
    that contacted the first server).

    > If it is so, does the object is destroyed after sending the xml.

    In the .NET platform, the object will be destroyed when the .NET Garbage
    Collector deems it necessary. .NET Web Services can also be cached if their
    results don't change often, reducing the amount of load on the web service
    server.
    Scott M., Nov 17, 2006