What is the HTML tag that makes text display without interpretation ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by aSchwarzie, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. aSchwarzie

    aSchwarzie Guest

    Hi NewsGroup,

    I'm searching for the HTML tag (or related method) that would allow me to
    display HTML instructions in Internet Explorer without the browser trying to
    interpret it.

    The <PRE> tag only keeps the look and feel, and is convenient only to
    display scripting code...
    but the other standard tags are being interpreted...

    I need this in a weblog where I try to provide some weblog edition technical
    help...

    Can anyone help me ?

    Kind regards,

    Arnie

    ps: please reply to this post and/on: a_s_c_h_w_a_r_z_i_e @ hotmail DOT
    com

    aSchwarzie, Nov 24, 2003

  2. "aSchwarzie" <> wrote:

    > I'm searching for the HTML tag (or related method) that would allow me
    > to display HTML instructions in Internet Explorer without the browser
    > trying to interpret it.

    For the umpteenth time, use &lt; for < and &amp; for &.

    Besides, they are markup, not instructions.

    > I need this in a weblog where I try to provide some weblog edition
    > technical help...

    Do you seriously think that you are qualified to write _about_ HTML and
    give technical help on it, if you were not able to find out this simple
    thing by yourself? Any decent tutorial tells it.

    > ps: please reply to this post and/on: a_s_c_h_w_a_r_z_i_e @ hotmail
    > DOT com

    Please get a clue. Hints:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/mail-responses.html

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 24, 2003

  3. aSchwarzie

    aSchwarzie Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > "aSchwarzie" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm searching for the HTML tag (or related method) that would allow me
    > > to display HTML instructions in Internet Explorer without the browser
    > > trying to interpret it.

    > For the umpteenth time, use &lt; for < and &amp; for &.

    I *have* been using these since ages, be assured. You might however have
    noticed that I mentioned using a weblog here. The blog edition interface
    accepts these "&lt;" and "&gt;" pretty fine only at initial input (and
    displays okay). However, when I'm recalling the stored html info in the
    so-called editor -- to add some more texte or correct it -- , all &lt; &gt
    etc... got "interpreted" and displayed there as < and > signs. This forces
    me to convert them manually all again into &lt; and &gt; which is a real
    *pain* in the neck (to remain polite).

    I thought that there would still be a markup around to help me out, even if
    "deprecated" as long as it would still work with recent browsers. Would
    have been really easy. Helas, I could not find such indications at w3c.org,
    nor was there any workaround suggested. Hence my post here.

    > Besides, they are markup, not instructions.

    Thanks for the correction. By the way my intent is to display *source*, not
    only markups.

    > > I need this in a weblog where I try to provide some weblog edition
    > > technical help...

    > Do you seriously think that you are qualified to write _about_ HTML and
    > give technical help on it, if you were not able to find out this simple
    > thing by yourself? Any decent tutorial tells it.

    Sure it does. But it does not address my concern for the reason explained
    above.

    Finally, yes it happened I have been helping out more people than you would
    imagine, mainly with technical support in html and scripting. Asking this
    newsgroup a question about a "basic" HTML concept doesn't necessarily make
    me inqualified.

    > > ps: please reply to this post and/on: a_s_c_h_w_a_r_z_i_e @ hotmail
    > > DOT com

    > Please get a clue. Hints:
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/mail-responses.html

    Understood.

    aSchwarzie, Nov 24, 2003
  4. aSchwarzie wrote:

    > I *have* been using these since ages, be assured. You might however have
    > noticed that I mentioned using a weblog here. The blog edition interface
    > accepts these "&lt;" and "&gt;" pretty fine only at initial input (and
    > displays okay). However, when I'm recalling the stored html info in the
    > so-called editor -- to add some more texte or correct it -- , all &lt; &gt
    > etc... got "interpreted" and displayed there as < and > signs. This forces
    > me to convert them manually all again into &lt; and &gt; which is a real
    > *pain* in the neck (to remain polite).

    This is really a problem with your web log software. It *should* replace
    all &'s with "&amp;" when it creates the text area for you to edit the
    page. If this is done properly, "&lt;" will become "&amp;lt;" and will be
    displayed as "&lt;" in the text area.

    Which blogging software are you using that screws this up?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 24, 2003
  5. aSchwarzie

    aSchwarzie Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > aSchwarzie wrote:
    >
    > > I *have* been using these since ages, be assured. You might however

    have
    > > noticed that I mentioned using a weblog here. The blog edition

    interface
    > > accepts these "&lt;" and "&gt;" pretty fine only at initial input (and
    > > displays okay). However, when I'm recalling the stored html info in the
    > > so-called editor -- to add some more texte or correct it -- , all &lt;

    &gt
    > > etc... got "interpreted" and displayed there as < and > signs. This

    forces
    > > me to convert them manually all again into &lt; and &gt; which is a real
    > > *pain* in the neck (to remain polite).

    > This is really a problem with your web log software. It *should* replace
    > all &'s with "&amp;" when it creates the text area for you to edit the
    > page. If this is done properly, "&lt;" will become "&amp;lt;" and will be
    > displayed as "&lt;" in the text area.
    >
    > Which blogging software are you using that screws this up?

    I fully agree with you !!! I however have no control on the blog software.
    It is provided by my ISP, which is Skynet here (www.skynetblogs.be)
    You can give it a try, it's free ... any hint is welcome ! Thanks in
    advance :)

    aSchwarzie, Nov 25, 2003
  6. aSchwarzie wrote:

    > "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    >> aSchwarzie wrote:
    >>
    >>> I *have* been using these since ages, be assured. You might however
    >>> have noticed that I mentioned using a weblog here. The blog edition
    >>> interface accepts these "&lt;" and "&gt;" pretty fine only at initial
    >>> input (and displays okay). However, when I'm recalling the stored
    >>> html info in the so-called editor -- to add some more texte or correct
    >>> it -- all &lt;, &gt;, etc... got "interpreted" and displayed there as
    >>> < and > signs. This forces me to convert them manually all again
    >>> into &lt; and &gt; which is a real *pain* in the neck (to remain
    >>> polite).

    >> This is really a problem with your web log software.

    > I fully agree with you !!! I however have no control on the blog
    > software.

    Then I guess the only solution is for every edit, to cut all the text out
    of the text area, paste it into a text editor and run search and replace
    -- always convert "&" to "&amp;" first -- before worrying about < and >.

    A good text editor may be able to record these actions as a macro,
    making things easier the next time round.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 25, 2003
  7. aSchwarzie

    > Then I guess the only solution is for every edit, to cut all the text out
    > of the text area, paste it into a text editor and run search and replace
    > -- always convert "&" to "&amp;" first -- before worrying about < and >.
    >
    > A good text editor may be able to record these actions as a macro,
    > making things easier the next time round.

    Thanks for the tip, Toby. Looks like I'm back to square 1. :)

    Currently, I'm editing the text in FrontPage "normal" view to give it the
    wanted look & feel, when done I switch to HTML view and copy and paste it
    all to MS-Word for the Find&Replace job to the relevant sections that I
    formerly colored in blue for easy later edition... I also have to add <BR>
    tags otherwise all that section's text is forced on on row... then I save
    the result as a document, before copying and pasting it all in the weblog
    editor... :-/
    Pretty annoying, isn't it ?

    Thanks again for all.

    aSchwarzie, Nov 25, 2003