What minimum should a person know before saying "I know Python"

Gene Heskett

Unfortunately, I see that as a requiring a change at the OS level.

Without knowing exactly how this was done on the Miggies, and the level of
security we have here compared to zero on the amiga because of its flat, no
mmu memory mapping, precludes my having a thought to argue about it in my
wildest dreams.

Re ARexx, its biggest Achilles heel was the Rexx.lib, which became so
obvious that Joanne Dow and someone else whose name I've spaced in the
ensuing 15 years, actually dissed it, found several buglets and one real
whoodoozy and fixed them, which enhanced the amiga's long term stability
such that even the web server only had to be rebooted at 2 to 3 week
intervals. Yes, that Joanne Dow, you might remember the name from her bix
days, is a friend of mine. Quite a Lady IMO. About as creative as anyone
I've ever met in coming up with lady-like versions of screw you etc. ;-)
Last I knew a year back up the log, she was still working, I don't have too
many years on her, and my use by date has passed a long time ago Dennis,
I'll be 79 on the next 4th.
Even on the OS that REXX was developed upon, my books give a strong
hint that the only application that was readily "address app" compatible
was a text editor. ARexx piggy-backed on the underlying linked list
messages on "findable" message ports.

Until the OS supports a multiple writer IPC with return addressing in
an easy API, it's unlikely to be created. UDP/IP might be a way -- but
UDP has that nasty unreliability factor. Amiga message ports had
guaranteed delivery (as long as the receiving process read the queued
messages; and VMS mailboxes were similar).

Multiple writer -- as any process could send messages to the single
receiving port; it wasn't a socket server style where connection
requests on a single port would be assigned a distinct port subsequent
usage.

Then again, the Amiga auto-config for boards pre-dates the PCI- express
configuration system, which is very similar.

And that, despite being mostly written in Lisp, worked very well. The fact
that for every board initialized at boot time required a soft reboot that
the user wasn't made obviously aware of, could get interesting though.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

He only knew his iron spine held up the sky -- he didn't realize his brain
had fallen to the ground.
-- The Book of Serenity
law-abiding citizens.

CM

I started Python 4 months ago. Largely self-study with use of Python
documentation, stackoverflow and google. I was thinking what is the minimum
that I must know before I can say that I know Python?

Seems to me a fuzzy boundary between "Not knowing" and "knowing". I preferthinking in terms of a spectrum, from 0-10 or pick your scale.

0 - Person who has never heard of Python or has but that's the extent of it..
1 - Beginning installer / Hello Worlder! / clumsy dabbler / what is self?
2 - Underway in earnest, not yet making anything all that much
3 - Making stuff, but clunky
4 - Making stuff pretty well, but looking up 2/3rds of it on SE or equivalent.
5 - Making stuff pretty well, but looking up 1/3rds of it on SE or equivalent.
6 - Making stuff pretty well, occasionally consulting the Python.org docs
7 - Tim Chase's list level
8 - The guy who hired the guy at 7 (assuming he is even further on)
9 - Gurus of this list
10 - Uber-gurus
10^6 - Guido

I feel like I'm about 5 maybe, with some embarrassing chinks in the armor? Draw the "know line" boundary wherever you want, but I'd think you'd probably want to be above 4. I know I'd feel more comfortable saying I know Python if I were at 7 (and thanks, Tim Chase; I saved that list a while back in my files to consult someday, maybe). That said, I've written 20k+ loc of(mostly?) working code in Python and have done some contracting work at myhumble 5, so there's that.

Schneider

I would say it's a little bit more:
You have to know the keywords and (basic) concepts, e.g. you really have
to understand what it means, that everything is a class.
If you get foreign, you have to be able to understand it. And the other
way round, given a problem, you should be able to write a working solution.

bg
Johannes

Interesting. I would say that you must know the keywords, how to make
a Class, how to write a loop. That covers about 85% of it.

--
GLOBE Development GmbH
Königsberger Strasse 260