    dreamcatcher Guest

    since strcpy is the abbreviation for string copy, so I wonder what
    strspn and strpbrk stands for ?

    dreamcatcher, Sep 19, 2003

  2. dreamcatcher

    Kevin Easton Guest

    dreamcatcher <> wrote:

    > since strcpy is the abbreviation for string copy, so I wonder what
    > strspn and strpbrk stands for ?

    There was a thread on this a month or two ago, where it was mentioned
    that strpbrk probably means "string pointer break", because the function
    it performs is analogous to that performed by the BREAK keyword in some
    earlier language (I can't remember which one).

    - Kevin.
    Kevin Easton, Sep 19, 2003

  3. dreamcatcher

    dreamcatcher Guest

    dreamcatcher, Sep 20, 2003
  4. dreamcatcher

    Coos Haak Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:14:26 -0400, dreamcatcher
    <> wrote:

    >thanx, and what strspn stands for ?

    First line on page 250 of K&R2

    Coos
    Coos Haak, Sep 20, 2003
  5. dreamcatcher

    dreamcatcher Guest

    hey, pal, i don't have the book at hand, why don't you just paste the
    line here, for my sake of convenience.

    dreamcatcher, Sep 21, 2003
  6. dreamcatcher

    pete Guest

    dreamcatcher wrote:

    > hey, pal, i don't have the book at hand, why don't you just paste the
    > line here, for my sake of convenience.

    I would, if I knew what you were talking about.

    --
    pete
    pete, Sep 21, 2003
  7. dreamcatcher

    dreamcatcher Guest

    dreamcatcher, Sep 21, 2003
  8. On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, dreamcatcher wrote:

    [Probably referring to pete's post in a different subthread,
    referring to dreamcatcher's post which referred to someone's
    post in a third subthread]

    > what do you mean ? didn't I make my point ?

    Your threading is broken. Something is wrong with your
    newsreader.

    Also, you are not posting any context for your remarks.
    Usenet is a medium very concerned with context. You need
    to post some idea of not only *what* you are saying, but
    *why* you are saying it. I'm assuming you're trying to
    ask pete to post a line from page 250 of K&R2, then asking
    why he doesn't know what you are talking about. But that's
    just a guess, since I don't see any context for your above
    remark. You could be in the middle of a discussion about
    the price of birdseed in Minsk, and just happened to post
    to the wrong group, for all I know.

    Fix your newsreader, and also read

    http://www.google.com/search?q=usenet posting netiquette

    for more information.

    -Arthur
    Arthur J. O'Dwyer, Sep 21, 2003
  9. On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:14:26 -0400, dreamcatcher
    <> wrote:

    > thanx, and what strspn stands for ?

    Span, as in go over (the prefix drawn from the match chars). That
    verb was used for a similar VAX instruction, but I don't recall if
    this routine was in the C standard library before the VAX came out.

    strcspn is Complement Span; it would read better reversed to Span
    Complement (of set), but in those days we worried about linkers that
    only allowed 6 character names.

    - David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net
    Dave Thompson, Sep 22, 2003
  10. dreamcatcher

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> Dave Thompson <> writes:

    >On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:14:26 -0400, dreamcatcher
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >> thanx, and what strspn stands for ?

    >Span, as in go over (the prefix drawn from the match chars). That
    >verb was used for a similar VAX instruction, but I don't recall if
    >this routine was in the C standard library before the VAX came out.

    The VAX came out at the same time as K&R1 and there is no mention of
    strspn in K&R1.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop