What will happen..

Anil

Question related to ASP.Net web application with .Net Framework 1.1. I am
using ADO.Net and ODBC namespace.

When the user clicks the process button I am doing database INSERT/UPDATRE..
activity and it will take 30 seconds to complete the database activity and
then the user will be redirected to different screen.

My question is during that 30 seconds user can close the browser by clicking
the cross mark in the IE title bar. What will happen to the data posting.
All the data will be posted?

Please advice.

Anil

Guoqi Zheng

I think all data will be lost.

You may need to start a new thread, so that people can click some other
links, but all the data will still be posted.

--
Kind regards

Guoqi Zheng
guoqi AT meetholland dot com
Http://www.meetholland.com

bruce barker

it will depend on how the page is coded. if buffering is on, the website
will not detect the close until it writes the response. if buffering is off,
and your page flushes data to the browser, then an error will be thrown.,
and the request will not be completed.

also if the user gets bored, and clicks the submit again, or does a refesh,
the postback will run again. be sure to code for this case.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Anil

CASE 1. If the user clicks the Refresh Button again not sure how to handle
this. OK You said through code.

Will it stop the thread (process) started by clicking the process button or
will it be a new request?

CASE2: I am capturing the clicked event at the client side and if the
previous clicked events processing are not ended (using a hidden variable
for which I can access its value from server and client side.) then I am
setting this event to false using

event.returnValue = false;

-- Anil