What would stop Applet from re-loading after page refresh?

Richard Maher

Hi,

I have an Applet that is loaded dynamically at run-time with the
<object> tag loaded into a DIV with innerHTML. Everything seems peachy
and all works well until I refresh the page and then after what appears
to be a very successful destroy() method, I get nothing more in the Java
console with logging set to 5. My own console.log() message in
Javascript tell me the ERROR java_status_event is called when trying to
reload the Applet (no init() activity).

Via a simple SSCcE I tested STATIC variable LiveConnect/JSObject,
SYNCHRONIZED Methods, and delaying the destroy() but the light versions
all refresh and reload without issue. (BTW there is no on-screen
footprint/output for the Applet).

So my question is does anyone have an idea what is causing the
full-version of the Applet to have problems reloading on a refresh?

Is there something being left-behind that is stopping the new version?

Cheers Richard Maher

PS. Classloader cache is shared/default. There are additional Threads
created. It is unsigned and sand-boxed. Java 7.

Knute Johnson

[...]

What exactly do you do in the destroy() method? Have you tried not
destroying it?

Richard Maher

On 7/19/2013 8:42 AM, Knute Johnson wrote:
created. It is unsigned and sand-boxed. Java 7.
What exactly do you do in the destroy() method? Have you tried not
destroying it?

Nah, I sort of need that.

My guess is Java.util.logging which I'm replacing with my own logger anyway.

I'm in the middle of a whole lot of other changes at the mo and will hit
it again later but 7.25 seemed to have big changes with JUL so that's
where my money is anyway.

It's just a shame when the java_status_events call ERROR and the status
is a definite 3 that we can't get the error somewhere.

Cheers Richard Maher

Richard Maher

On 7/19/2013 8:42 AM, Knute Johnson wrote:
created. It is unsigned and sand-boxed. Java 7.

Nah, I sort of need that.

My guess is Java.util.logging which I'm replacing with my own logger
anyway.

I'm in the middle of a whole lot of other changes at the mo and will hit
it again later but 7.25 seemed to have big changes with JUL so that's
where my money is anyway.

It's just a shame when the java_status_events call ERROR and the status
is a definite 3 that we can't get the error somewhere.

Cheers Richard Maher
If anyone is interested is does look like JUL was causing the problem. I
added it to my SSCcE and it also failed to refresh only this time I got
some console output: -

basic: Starting applet teardown
Shutting down
basic: PluginMain.unregisterApplet: 1 from mananger
sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2Manager@1ddf47e
basic: Finished applet teardown
basic: Added progress listener:
sun.plugin.util.ProgressMonitorAdapter@1bd2c04
basic: Plugin2ClassLoader.addURL parent called for
http://1.2.3.4/tier3Client.jar
basic: Plugin2ClassLoader.addURL parent called for
http://1.2.3.4/LocalGUI.jar
security: SSV validation: running: 1.7.0_25, requested: 1.7.0.25, range:
null
network: Created version ID: 1.7.0.25
network: Created version ID: 1.7.0.25
security: continue with running version
basic: exception: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException.
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at
com.sun.deploy.uitoolkit.impl.awt.AWTAppletAdapter.runOnEDTAndWait(Unknown
Source)
at
com.sun.deploy.uitoolkit.impl.awt.AWTAppletAdapter.instantiateApplet(Unknown
Source)
at
sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.initAppletAdapter(Unknown Source)
at
sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown
Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
at
com.sun.deploy.uitoolkit.impl.awt.OldPluginAWTUtil.invokeAndWait(Unknown
Source)
... 5 more
at java.util.logging.Logger.doSetParent(Unknown Source)
at java.util.logging.Logger.getAnonymousLogger(Unknown
Source)
at java.util.logging.Logger.getAnonymousLogger(Unknown
Source)
at tier3Client.TestApp.<init>(TestApp.java:21)
at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at
com.sun.deploy.uitoolkit.impl.awt.AWTAppletAdapter$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
Ignored exception: java.lang.RuntimeException:
basic: Dialog type is not candidate for embedding

Line:21 in the Applet is: -
private final Logger logger
= Logger.getAnonymousLogger();

Arne Vajhøj

If anyone is interested is does look like JUL was causing the problem. I
added it to my SSCcE and it also failed to refresh only this time I got
some console output: -
Line:21 in the Applet is: -
private final Logger logger
= Logger.getAnonymousLogger();