    What's supposed to be the problem with 3.5 SP1?

    [1]
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...l-lt-asp-chart-runat-quot-server-quot-gt.aspx

    Hillbilly, Dec 8, 2008

  2. On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:00:45 +0100, Hillbilly <>
    wrote:

    > Generally very timely about supporting the framework a hosting provider
    > WebHost4Life will not install the recently released Chart control [1]
    > claiming it requires 3.5 SP1 which they assert causes problems...

    I am pretty sure that the Chart control works fine without 3.5 SP1.

    From my experience - short as it may be - with the library, it works just
    fine when installed locally in a web applications bin folder. Hence, I
    guess you are able to simply "install" it yourself.

    Let me know if it does not do the trick.

    --
    Joern Schou-Rode
    http://malamute.dk/

    Joern Schou-Rode, Dec 8, 2008

  3. Hillbilly

    Hillbilly Guest

    "Joern Schou-Rode" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:00:45 +0100, Hillbilly <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Generally very timely about supporting the framework a hosting provider
    >> WebHost4Life will not install the recently released Chart control [1]
    >> claiming it requires 3.5 SP1 which they assert causes problems...

    > I am pretty sure that the Chart control works fine without 3.5 SP1.
    >
    > From my experience - short as it may be - with the library, it works just
    > fine when installed locally in a web applications bin folder. Hence, I
    > guess you are able to simply "install" it yourself.
    >
    > Let me know if it does not do the trick.
    >
    > --
    > Joern Schou-Rode
    > http://malamute.dk/

    I'll try something basic in a file sent to the host server as you imply
    Joern but I did find Hanselman's comments about SP1 which the host providers
    may be using as rationale. Personally, their explanation is stupid because
    they are going to have to install 4.0 and the Chart control will be
    distributed with 4.0 and 4.0 is going to introduce its own bugs just as
    every previous release does so then what? I hope you're right Joern, I don't
    want to wait :)

    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/CategoryView.aspx?category=Bugs

    Hillbilly, Dec 8, 2008
  4. Hillbilly

    Hillbilly Guest

    All I have been able to discover is that some --3.5 SP1 applications-- have
    had problems as there are apparently issues in some of the
    classes --however-- this has nothing to do with the --server-- and I'm not
    happy at the moment that I'd have to wait for up to a year perhaps for this
    hosting service to install 4.0 to get to use the Chart control.

    Hillbilly, Dec 9, 2008
  5. On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 02:18:54 +0100, Mark Rae [MVP]
    <> wrote:

    > No, that's not correct either. The Chart controls are not an assembly
    > that you can just drop into the \bin folder - they are an add-in /
    > extension to .NET 3.5 SP1.

    I am most certainly using the Chart controls right now, in an environment
    where I simply dropped the binaries into my applications bin folder!

    You might be right about the 3.5 SP1 requirement though :)

    --
    Joern Schou-Rode
    http://malamute.dk/

    Joern Schou-Rode, Dec 9, 2008
  6. Hillbilly

    Dale Guest

    Webhost4life's error has to do with an out of memory exception error that is
    produced by some of the 3rd Party Components on the site. Kind of annoying
    as the only time I have come across the error the third party providers
    already have updates available to address it.

    So I am not sure Microsoft is going to respond with much as it appears to be
    a 3rd Party issue not a MS one. I guess Webhost4life are hoping that MS
    Will release some sort of patch that will allow all these out of date sites
    to be magically work again without webhost4life telling the users to just
    upgrade their stuff.

    Dale

    Dale, Dec 10, 2008
  7. Hillbilly

    Hillbilly Guest

    I certainly don't understand them at the moment as they have always been
    really quick to adopt support for the framework and related assets which
    only make their hosting services more attractive. Pointing the finger where
    it does not belong is not a good idea. I'm going to send the CEO a kite as
    he invites customers to do so.

    Hillbilly, Dec 10, 2008
  8. "Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

    > And how did those binaries find their way onto your computer...?

    On my development box, the files were installed using the installer. This
    box also has every flavor of .NET installed.

    In our test environment, the charting binaries are simply copied in along
    with everything else in the bin-folder. The installer has NOT been used here.

    Furthermore, the test server does NOT have .NET Framework 3.5 (nor 3.0). The
    newest framework on this box is 2.0, and the charting controls works just
    fine!

    --
    Joern Schou-Rode
    http://malamute.dk/

    Joern Schou-Rode, Dec 11, 2008
  9. "Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

    > this is against the EULA

    Guess I will have to ask my company's legal department to look into this.
    Thanks for the info :)

    To the OP:

    ALL OF MY SUGGESTIONS IN THIS THREAD ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR
    DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS ADVISE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED
    WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE
    LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY
    DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
    ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
    CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS ADVISE.

    --
    Joern Schou-Rode
    http://malamute.dk/

    Joern Schou-Rode, Dec 11, 2008