What's more pythonic?

Dan Stromberg

Is sample1 or sample2 the more pythonic way of comparing?

class sample1
def __init__(self, a, b):
self.a = a
self.b = b
def __cmp__(self, other):
return self.a.__cmp__(other.a)

....or:

class sample2
def __init__(self, a, b):
self.a = a
self.b = b
def __cmp__(self, other):
if self.a < other.a:
return -1
elif self.a > other.a:
return 1
else:
return 0

?

Thanks!

Paul Rubin

Dan Stromberg said:
def __cmp__(self, other):
if self.a < other.a:
return -1
elif self.a > other.a:
return 1
else:
return 0

I think I'd have written

return cmp(self.a, other.a)

Aahz

Is sample1 or sample2 the more pythonic way of comparing?

Depending on what versions of Python you're targetting, some people
would argue neither (advocating the deprecation of __cmp__). I'm not
sure what the current status of __cmp__ is for Python 3.0.