What's the best MP3 (ID3) access library to use?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Paul Moore, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Paul Moore

    Paul Moore Guest

    I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
    files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
    I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
    of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
    obvious "standard" module to use.

    Basically, I want to write some scripts to "tidy up" a collection of
    MP3 files, reporting oddities in information, rationalising details,
    etc. So I believe that my requirements are:

    - Works on Windows
    - Allows easy access to title, artist, album info
    - Allows updates

    I don't know much about the technical details of MP3/ID3 formats, the
    objective is basically to automate a slog through a large number of
    files with an editor program.

    An example of the sort of thing I want to do - I've got some files
    with Artist = "Various" and Title = "Real Artist - Track Name" (from
    compilation albums) and I'd like to change that to Artist = "Real
    Artist", Title = "Track Name".

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    Paul.
    Paul Moore, Sep 29, 2003

  2. (Paul Moore) writes:

    > I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
    > files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
    > I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
    > of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
    > obvious "standard" module to use.

    Try this: id3-py.sf.net
    It should work on Windows but I haven't tested yet

    --
    Lawrence "Rhymes" Oluyede
    http://loluyede.blogspot.com
    Lawrence Oluyede, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Paul Moore

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Lawrence Oluyede <> pisze:

    >> I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
    >> files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
    >> I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
    >> of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
    >> obvious "standard" module to use.

    > Try this: id3-py.sf.net
    > It should work on Windows but I haven't tested yet

    It works also on Windows, but accepts only ID3v1 tags.

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    Registered Linux User #-1
    Jarek Zgoda, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Paul Moore

    Paul Moore Guest

    Jarek Zgoda <> writes:

    > Lawrence Oluyede <> pisze:
    >
    >>> I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
    >>> files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
    >>> I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
    >>> of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
    >>> obvious "standard" module to use.

    >> Try this: id3-py.sf.net
    >> It should work on Windows but I haven't tested yet

    > It works also on Windows, but accepts only ID3v1 tags.

    Looks like I need ID3v2 tags. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

    Paul
    --
    This signature intentionally left blank
    Paul Moore, Sep 29, 2003
  5. On 29 Sep 2003 04:49:03 -0700, rumours say that
    (Paul Moore) might have written:

    >I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
    >files.

    [snip]
    >An example of the sort of thing I want to do - I've got some files
    >with Artist = "Various" and Title = "Real Artist - Track Name" (from
    >compilation albums) and I'd like to change that to Artist = "Real
    >Artist", Title = "Track Name".

    Unless you care for the hack value, you better use a free tool like this
    one (which I have used):
    http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/tag.html

    I have written an ID3v1.1 module, which I will include in another doing
    APE tags too, but I don't think this would help you if your songs have
    ID3v2 tags.
    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Paul Moore

    Paul Moore Guest

    Christos "TZOTZIOY" Georgiou <> writes:

    > Unless you care for the hack value, you better use a free tool like
    > this one (which I have used):
    > http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/tag.html

    Hack value is usually relevant, with me, but the main reason was that
    I'd not found a command-line utility which did the job. The one you
    suggest looks like just what I want! And if I *still* want to hack, I
    can write a Python script to call tag.exe as needed :)

    Thanks very much.
    Paul.
    --
    This signature intentionally left blank
    Paul Moore, Sep 30, 2003
  7. The most comprehensive one I know of is this, however, I think it's
    readonly:

    http://www.omniscia.org/~vivake/python/MP3Info.py

    Grisha

    Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy, Sep 30, 2003