What's the best way to do this?

Alan Silver

Hello,

I have an e-commerce package that currently offers an application that
installs on the user's PC to allow them to manipulate the product
database. I'm considering converting (ie rewriting from scratch) this
into a set of password-protected ASP.NET pages.

One thing that I can't work out is how to handle the product pricing.
The package allows them to enter products that can have price
variations, for example for small, medium and large sized versions of
the product. Obviously, existing price variations can be shown in some
sort of grid, and they could click on one to edit it.

What I can't work out is the best way to allow them to add new
variations. For example, suppose a product is available in small and
medium and they want to add large to that. I could have a text box and
allow them to enter the new variation there, then click the Update
button to add it, but this could be slow and tedious if they want to add
a lot, say when starting a new product. It's also counter-intuitive, as
they would be going through the product details making other changes
without requiring a round-trip to the server. Requiring a round-trip for
the variations isn't consistent.

Any easier way to allow them to add variations? I could have four or
five text boxes, but that clutters up the interface. The current
application uses a data grid and handles everything on the client side,
only sending the info through to the database when they have finished
all the product editing. I would like to make this new version as quick
and simple as possible, and avoid multiple round-trips to the server if
possible.

Any suggestions? TIA