    Paul White Guest

    I'm playing around with cookies via ASP.

    Where does the phyical cookie get stored ?

    Paul White, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Paul White

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Paul White"
    <> writing in news:kpoSa.4850$OM3.1991@news-
    server.bigpond.net.au:

    > I'm playing around with cookies via ASP.
    >
    > Where does the phyical cookie get stored ?

    If a user accepts cookies, then they are stored in a special area by the
    user's browser.

    If you would like to see cookies in action, block or accept, get the
    CookieWall from AnalogX (free) -
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm

    ASP session cookies are a slightly different animal. If a user is
    blocking all cookies, including session cookies, then session variables
    like session("sessionid") will not work either.

    Here the way I use to see if users are accepting session cookies.

    For example,

    At the top of page 1 you do:
    <%
    dim thesessionid

    thesessionid = session("SessionId")
    %>

    and a link: <a href="cookietest.asp?id=<%=thesessionid%>">Test Cookie</a>

    Then on cookietest.asp do this:

    <%
    dim thesessionid

    thesessionid = request.querystring("thesessionid")

    if thesessionid = session("SessionID") then
    response.write "We have a winner"
    else
    response.write "Use some other method to pass variables"
    end if
    %>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell