Where are my ruby gems located? Why don't executables such as specwork?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Kristian Mandrup, Feb 2, 2010.

  1. I'm on Mac OSX Snow Leopard, running Ruby 1.9.1

    I have recently substituted homebre packagemanager for port.
    I reinstalled most of my ruby gems using $ sudo gem install [gem list]

    Now I can list my gems:

    $ gem list

    *** LOCAL GEMS ***

    abstract (1.0.0)
    actionmailer (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
    actionpack (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
    activemodel (3.0.pre)
    activerecord (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
    activeresource (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)

    But I can't seem to find where on the system they are located :(

    And executables such as spec don't work, even though I can see that
    the gem (fx rspec) is installed :(

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Kristian Mandrup, Feb 2, 2010

  2. Re: Where are my ruby gems located? Why don't executables such as spec work?

    Kristian Mandrup wrote:
    > I'm on Mac OSX Snow Leopard, running Ruby 1.9.1
    >
    > I have recently substituted homebre packagemanager for port.
    > I reinstalled most of my ruby gems using $ sudo gem install [gem list]
    >
    > Now I can list my gems:
    >
    > $ gem list
    >
    > *** LOCAL GEMS ***
    >
    > abstract (1.0.0)
    > actionmailer (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
    > actionpack (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
    > activemodel (3.0.pre)
    > activerecord (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
    > activeresource (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
    >
    > But I can't seem to find where on the system they are located :(

    here is a shell command to find 'em:

    sudo find / -name "gems"

    But they must be located in:

    MacOsX: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
    Unix: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/

    Kind regards,
    Pierre

    Pierre Lecocq, Feb 2, 2010

  3. Kristian Mandrup

    botp Guest

    On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Kristian Mandrup <> wrote:
    > But I can't seem to find where on the system they are located :(

    what is "gem which"
    what is "gem help commands"

    best regards -botp

    botp, Feb 2, 2010
  4. Re: Where are my ruby gems located? Why don't executables such as spec work?

    On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Kristian Mandrup <> wrote:

    > Now I can list my gems:
    >
    > $ gem list

    > But I can't seem to find where on the system they are located :(

    try `gem env` :)

    --
    Hassan Schroeder ------------------------
    twitter: @hassan

    Hassan Schroeder, Feb 2, 2010
  5. Kristian Mandrup

    Alpha Blue Guest

    Hassan Schroeder wrote:
    > try `gem env` :)

    This is the correct way of finding your gems.

    Alpha Blue, Feb 2, 2010