    application. This <customErrors> tag should then have
    its "mode" attribute set to "Off"."

    Where can i find the lines of the error???

    Yongsub Eric Shin, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Yongsub Eric Shin

    Shan Guest

    As mentioned in your error details, the CustomError tag is
    in Web.Config File of your application.

    Thanks,
    -Shan

    Runtime
    >Error page, where it says

    server.
    >The current custom error settings for this application
    >prevent the details of the application error from being
    >viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could,

    however,
    >be viewed by browsers running on the local server

    machine.

    Shan, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Thanks, Shan
    I looked at the Web.config file,
    but the lines about customError says

    <!-- CUSTOM ERROR MESSAGES
    Set customErrors mode="On" or "RemoteOnly" to
    enable custom error messages, "Off" to disable.
    Add <error> tags for each of the errors you want
    to handle.
    -->
    <customErrors mode="OFF" />

    i tried "ON", "REMOTEONLY" and "OFF" all of them
    but i still don't get the exact lines of error..

    You know like in ASP, if you have a syntax error in the
    code, the browser shows the exact line #, but ASP.net has
    the functionality too??

    Sorry for kinda naive question...Please bear with this new
    guy..>.<
    Thanks..

    Yongsub Eric Shin, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Yongsub Eric Shin

    Shan Guest

    If the CustomErrors Mode is "ON". It will display the
    error message with the Stack Trace which will basically
    tell you the line number and the code where its erroring..

    Thanks,
    -Shan

    Shan, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Yongsub Eric Shin

    Yongsub Shin Guest

    Thanks again, Shan
    I've tried to set the mode to "ON"
    but it still doesn't display the Stack Trace.
    it only displays following msgs

    Runtime Error
    The current custom error settings for this application
    prevent the details of the application error from being
    viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
    be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

    Details: To enable the details of this specific error
    message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a
    <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration
    file located in the root directory of the current web
    application. This <customErrors> tag should then have
    its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be
    replaced by a custom error page by modifying
    the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's
    <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom
    error page URL.

    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"
    defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    Yongsub Shin, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Yongsub Eric Shin

    Chris Becker Guest

    I think that the only way you can get the line number is to upload the pdb
    file with your apps dll file. If you are using the release dll, you must
    add pdb creation to your project settings. But if you do upload the pdb
    file, make sure that you are handling all errors yourself (I don't think the
    customerrors section is what you are looking for since an error just causes
    a redirect to the error page and the stack is lost. What you should look
    into is the Global.asax file at ApplicationError() or Page.Error to handle
    errors. Again, you must include the pdb file from what I know. Here are
    some examples:

    Sub Application_Error(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
    Dim ex As Exception = Server.GetLastError()
    If TypeOf ex Is SqlClient.SqlException Then
    If CType(ex, SqlClient.SqlException).Number = 17 Then
    Server.ClearError()

    ErrorReport.RedirectToError(ErrorReport.ErrorCodes.DatabaseMaintenance)
    End If
    Else
    If UseGlobalErrorHandler Then
    Dim errorText As String = CreateExceptionString(ex)
    SendCriticalErrorEmail(errorText)
    HttpContext.Current.Trace.Warn("An error occured",
    errorText)
    Server.ClearError()
    ErrorReport.RedirectToError(ErrorReport.ErrorCodes.Unknown)
    End If
    End If
    End Sub

    Public Shared Function CreateExceptionString(ByVal ex As Exception) As
    String
    Dim text As New System.Text.StringBuilder("")
    Dim NL As String = System.Environment.NewLine
    If Not TypeOf ex Is System.Web.HttpUnhandledException Then
    text.Append("An error has occured." + NL)
    text.AppendFormat("Time: {0}{1}", Now.ToString, NL)
    text.AppendFormat("Request type: {0}{1}",
    HttpContext.Current.Request.HttpMethod, NL)
    text.AppendFormat("Url: {0}{1}",
    HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.ToString, NL)
    text.AppendFormat("Referrer: {0}{1}",
    HttpContext.Current.Request.UrlReferrer, NL)
    text.AppendFormat("Current username: {0}{1}",
    Security.GetCurrentUsername, NL)
    text.AppendFormat("Current user ID: {0}{1}",
    Security.GetCurrentUserID, NL)
    text.AppendFormat("Current user type: {0}{1}",
    Security.GetCurrentUserType, NL)
    text.AppendFormat("Source: {0}{1}", ex.Source, NL)
    text.AppendFormat("Message: {0}{1}", ex.Message, NL)
    text.AppendFormat("Stack trace: {0}{1}", ex.StackTrace, NL)
    End If
    If Not IsNothing(ex.InnerException) Then
    text.AppendFormat("===================================={0}{1}",
    NL, CreateExceptionString(ex.InnerException))
    End If
    Return text.ToString
    End Function

    Chris Becker, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Yongsub Eric Shin

    Martin Guest

    The setting you had originally:

    <customErrors mode="Off" />

    should give you the maximun feedback, including line numbers. I am not sure
    about case sensitivity of attribute values (names are for sure) but I
    wouln't write "OFF" if the documentation says "Off".

    You may also want to have

    <trust level="Full" originUrl="" />

    while you don't want to be dealing with security yet. It you're not in the
    server domain or your client machine has limited rights for some other
    reason you may have similar problems.

    If it still doesn't work you want to check your machine.config on the server
    machine(C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG) to see if the
    setting isn't sealed with an allowOverride="true".

    This is also good reading if you can't get enough:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/THCMCh09.asp

    Martin.

    Martin, Jan 12, 2004
  8. Yongsub Eric Shin

    Martin Guest

    I discovered something just now that may help.

    If your web.config file is found insuitable for some reason you may get this
    deceptive error message that goes on about the customErrors setting.

    I added a <processModel> tag and was urged to set customErrors to Off, which
    is total bull-shit in this context. customErrors has been Off all the time,
    I had never a problem with getting error information and it has nothing to
    do with the problem. Removing the <processModel> tag made it work again.
    Mind that I could hardly believe it and checked web.config for
    well-formedness. It was well formed, the processModel element caused the
    problem.

    So if nothing seems to work, try starting with a clean web.config

    Martin.

    Martin, Jan 14, 2004