where did all the files go

AAJ

Hi all

I have a few questions about file locations with VS2005, localhost WidowsXP
and remotehost Server2003, and I wonder if anyone can help me get started

1)
If I build a web site on my local server i.e. Creat WebSite from the opening
menu, I can select my local webserver. Most of the files seem to be within
InetPub\wwwroot\website\...

however the sln file seems to be stored elsewehere C:\Documents and
Settings\username\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects - and also in
here is subfolder for a precompiled web and other stuff

So when I change a web page in VS2005 what is actually updated, and more
importantly, what do I need to back up to be able to recreate the site.

2)
If I start working on my localhost, then wanted to transfer the website so I
can develop on a test server, how do I do this? I can't see any option in
VS2005. I assume the source files are still stored in the C:\Documents and
Settings\username\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects, and it somehow
knows to use the remote server in partnership with the directory (notice I
deliberatly haven't used the term 'publishing' yet).

3) now the publishing bit!!
I have tried building a site on my local host then publishing it to the
remote server. It works but takes ages, even if I've only changed one page.
It also causes the following problem

Create a localhost project, add a crystal report and adjust the security,
set up virtual directory to crytal bits - it works fine.
create a remote project, install runtime dll's, add a crystal report and
adjust the security, set up virtual directory to crytal bits - it works
fine.

create a localhost project with crytal, get it working, PUBLISH it to the
remote server, it won't work, the report wont load.

any help or links on what goes where would be really usefull

thanks in advance

Andy

Guest

You can save the solution file into the same folder as the rest of the
website if you like, under wwwroot. You can then back up the entire folder
and you should get everything.

VS2005 has a Publish Web Site option that enables you to publish to another
folder, to FTP etc. and you can choose the build parameters. If you want to
speed this up, publish to a local folder and then just FTP or copy everything
over to the target webserver.

You can also use the new Web Application Projects add-in to build apps that
behave like the original ASP.NET 1.1 apps in which case you only need to copy
the entire application folder including the /bin folder to the target machine.
Peter

AAJ

Hi Peter

thanks for the reply.

If anyone could be so kind, just a couple of further questions on the same
topic....

1)
If I start a project on my local webserver (for development) , and then copy
the local web site folder to a remote test server and delete the local
website, how do I tell my solution file that the development website now
lives on a different server? Is there an option within VS2005 that can
change the location of the files within the solution.

2)
If I start a project on my local machine and then use 'publish' to transfer
the pages to a remote server, are the files that are copied to the remote
server exactly the same as the files on the local server, or does 'publish'
do things to the files. Pre compile and other words spring forwards

thanks again

Andy