Where do I get the C++ STL?

Ramon F Herrera

Hello:

I am an experienced C and Java programmer, trying to teach myself C++.

I would like to stay away from proprietary technologies and write
portable, standards based code.

My two development platforms are the natural ones for Windows and
Unix.

I highly doubt that STL comes with Visual C++, but what about GCC? Is
STL included?

TIA,

-RFH

Christopher

Hello:

I am an experienced C and Java programmer, trying to teach myself C++.

I would like to stay away from proprietary technologies and write
portable, standards based code.

My two development platforms are the natural ones for Windows and
Unix.

I highly doubt that STL comes with Visual C++, but what about GCC? Is
STL included?

TIA,

-RFH

An implementation of the STL comes in the form of a library that is
shipped with your compiler. The STL is part of the C++ Standard and
therefore part of the library that represents the Standard C++
library, a specific implementation of which comes with your compiler.

gcc has such a library as does Visual Studio.

Remember that just because something is "standard" does not mean all
implementations are the same, only that they adhere to a standard
interface and/or behavior.

If you write standard conforming C++, it should compile using any
standard conforming compiler.

sk_usenet

Ramon F Herrera said:
Hello:

I am an experienced C and Java programmer, trying to teach myself C++.

I would like to stay away from proprietary technologies and write
portable, standards based code.

My two development platforms are the natural ones for Windows and
Unix.

I highly doubt that STL comes with Visual C++, but what about GCC? Is
STL included?

You mean to ask if the standard library implementation doesn't come with
VC++? Well, you'd be surprised, but it is a good enough compiler (at least
after version 7.1). g++ is also good. I personally use g++ 3.4.6.

Ramon F Herrera

> gcc has such a library as does Visual Studio.

Great news. I wrongly assumed that Microsoft had replaced the Standard
with their so-called "Advanced" Template Library.

Thanks!

-Ramon

Juha Nieminen

Ramon said:
I highly doubt that STL comes with Visual C++

You highly doubt that STL comes with Visual C++? And why is that?
Microsoft is infamous for breaking standards, but they don't go *that* far.

The STL is part of the ISO C++ standard, and Visual C++ does of course
include an implementation.

Bo Schwarzstein

I suggest you install the Dev C++, it includes the mingw gcc 3.4
compiler, C\C++ library and Win32 API library.

STLport is the stl offical version, you can compile it yourself.

Visual Studio is also a good choise, but do not forget downlaod the
Platform SDK.

James Kanze

I suggest you install the Dev C++, it includes the mingw gcc
3.4 compiler, C\C++ library and Win32 API library.

You'll likely want an upgrade of the compiler, if that's the
case.
STLport is the stl offical version, you can compile it yourself.

There is no official version of the official library. Of the
four different implementations I use (g++, Rogue Wave, STL port
and Dinkumware), it is by far the worst, with serious problems
in both the iostreams and the locale sections.

Nick Keighley

I suggest you install the Dev C++, it includes the mingw gcc 3.4
compiler, C\C++ library and Win32 API library.

STLport is the stl offical version, you can compile it yourself.

Visual Studio is also a good  choise, but do not forget downlaod the
Platform SDK.

...if you want to do Win32 development