Where do I go for an Atom problem?

Discussion in 'XML' started by John W Kennedy, Mar 3, 2012.

  1. I realize that Atom isn't XML as such, but I can't find an Atom or RSS
    group anywhere. I'm producing an Atom feed with XHTML content, and it
    looks good on Firefox, but comes out looking likethis, or else this ,
    on Safari and Opera. The Atom file validates on the W3C Atom validator,
    and the missing spaces are definitely in the embedded XHTML, while the
    spurious spaces definitely aren't. I've established that what I'm
    seeing really is corruption in the displayed text, not artifacts of bad
    kerning. Latest versions of all relevant software.

    Anybody have, if not an idea of what's wrong, at least an idea of where
    I can go to ask?

    Example:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
    <id>http://john-w-kennedy.name/news</id>
    <link rel="self" href="http://john-w-kennedy.name/news/jwkennedy.atom"/>
    <title>John W. Kennedy website news</title>
    <updated>2012-03-02T02:02:19Z</updated>
    <entry>
    <id>http://john-w-kennedy.name/news/news0002</id>
    <published>2005-01-01T17:00:00Z</published>
    <updated>2005-01-01T12:00:00Z</updated>
    <title>Double Falshood page moved</title>
    <link href="news0002.php"/>
    <content type="xhtml">
    from <a
    href="/Double%20Falshood.html">http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Double%20Falshood.html</a>
    to <a
    href="/Double%20Falshood/index.html">http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Double%20Falshood/index.html</a>.
    Please update your bookmarks.</p>
    </content>
    </entry>
    </feed>

    on Safari yields:

    The Double Falshoodmain page has moved from
    http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Double Falshood.htmlto
    http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Double Falshood/index.html. Please
    update your bookmarks.

    --
    John W Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres

    John W Kennedy, Mar 3, 2012

  2. John W Kennedy wrote:
    > I realize that Atom isn't XML as such, but I can't find an Atom or RSS
    > group anywhere. I'm producing an Atom feed with XHTML content, and it
    > looks good on Firefox, but comes out looking likethis, or else this , on
    > Safari and Opera. The Atom file validates on the W3C Atom validator, and
    > the missing spaces are definitely in the embedded XHTML, while the
    > spurious spaces definitely aren't. I've established that what I'm seeing
    > really is corruption in the displayed text, not artifacts of bad
    > kerning. Latest versions of all relevant software.

    Can you post a URL of the feed?

    --

    Martin Honnen --- MVP Data Platform Development
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

    Martin Honnen, Mar 4, 2012

  3. On 2012-03-04 15:32:13 +0000, Martin Honnen said:

    > John W Kennedy wrote:
    >> I realize that Atom isn't XML as such, but I can't find an Atom or RSS
    >> group anywhere. I'm producing an Atom feed with XHTML content, and it
    >> looks good on Firefox, but comes out looking likethis, or else this , on
    >> Safari and Opera. The Atom file validates on the W3C Atom validator, and
    >> the missing spaces are definitely in the embedded XHTML, while the
    >> spurious spaces definitely aren't. I've established that what I'm seeing
    >> really is corruption in the displayed text, not artifacts of bad
    >> kerning. Latest versions of all relevant software.

    > Can you post a URL of the feed?

    At the moment, the only URL that can reach it begins
    "http://localhost". The website it's supposed to go on is mysteriously
    stuck in the purchasing process.

    I've put a copy at http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/news/jwkennedy.atom

    However, I should add that I've revised my program (fortunately I used
    my own SGML/XML-building library, so I could freely revise it, too) to
    produce Atom with an escaped-HTML payload instead of XHTML, and that
    works fine. Apparently I've discovered bugs in both Safari and Opera,
    whereby XHTML payloads in Atom simply break. I'll be glad if you can
    prove me wrong, though -- if you can find my error. The test copy I've
    uploaded to the prserv website is the XHTML version.

    --
    John W Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres

    John W Kennedy, Mar 5, 2012
  4. John W Kennedy

    Peter Flynn Guest

    On 03/03/12 23:12, John W Kennedy wrote:
    > I realize that Atom isn't XML as such,

    Atom is XML. What makes you think otherwise?

    > I'm producing an Atom feed with XHTML content, and it looks good on
    > Firefox, but comes out looking likethis, or else this , on Safari and
    > Opera. The Atom file validates on the W3C Atom validator, and the
    > missing spaces are definitely in the embedded XHTML, while the
    > spurious spaces definitely aren't.

    Those are implementation bugs. Contact the relevant browser authors.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Apr 7, 2012