  1. Well, Shiva's probably busy... But where is our Welcome message
    that is supposed to be posted every now and then? Somebody wants
    to take the job?

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 15, 2007

  2. Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > Well, Shiva's probably busy... But where is our Welcome message
    > that is supposed to be posted every now and then? Somebody wants
    > to take the job?

    What does the job entail ?

    Gianni Mariani, Aug 15, 2007

  3. Gianni Mariani wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >> Well, Shiva's probably busy... But where is our Welcome message
    >> that is supposed to be posted every now and then? Somebody wants
    >> to take the job?

    > What does the job entail ?

    I am guessing it would be to pick up the Welcome message from
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt and set up some kind of
    automated delivery to Usenet once or twice a week. I would
    certainly try for automated if possible. Remembering to post
    it manually is just too much...

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Victor Bazarov

    MiG Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > Gianni Mariani wrote:
    >> Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >>> Well, Shiva's probably busy... But where is our Welcome message
    >>> that is supposed to be posted every now and then? Somebody wants
    >>> to take the job?

    >> What does the job entail ?

    > I am guessing it would be to pick up the Welcome message from
    > http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt and set up some kind of
    > automated delivery to Usenet once or twice a week. I would
    > certainly try for automated if possible. Remembering to post
    > it manually is just too much...

    I have been on comp.lang.c++ for some time now and never have seen this
    Shiva message posted. In fact I wasn't aware it even existed.

    Now that I've read it (thanks for the link BTW) I think it'd be useful
    for all of us to have it posted regularly.

    Good idea V.

    --
    Miguel Guedes

    MiG, Aug 16, 2007
  5. Victor Bazarov

    Jim Langston Guest

    "MiG" <> wrote in message
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >> Gianni Mariani wrote:
    >>> What does the job entail ?

    >> I am guessing it would be to pick up the Welcome message from
    >> http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt and set up some kind of
    >> automated delivery to Usenet once or twice a week. I would
    >> certainly try for automated if possible. Remembering to post
    >> it manually is just too much...

    > I have been on comp.lang.c++ for some time now and never have seen this
    > Shiva message posted. In fact I wasn't aware it even existed.
    >
    > Now that I've read it (thanks for the link BTW) I think it'd be useful
    > for all of us to have it posted regularly.

    Becuase it always has the same title, it always goes into the same thread in
    my newsreader (and obvoiusly both). If you scroll all the way down to the
    oldest messags you should find the thread with the welcome messages.

    Jim Langston, Aug 16, 2007
  6. Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > Gianni Mariani wrote:
    >> Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >>> Well, Shiva's probably busy... But where is our Welcome message
    >>> that is supposed to be posted every now and then? Somebody wants
    >>> to take the job?

    >> What does the job entail ?

    > I am guessing it would be to pick up the Welcome message from
    > http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt and set up some kind of
    > automated delivery to Usenet once or twice a week. I would
    > certainly try for automated if possible. Remembering to post
    > it manually is just too much...

    Is there some editing responsibility ?

    Gianni Mariani, Aug 16, 2007
  7. Gianni Mariani wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >> Gianni Mariani wrote:
    >>> What does the job entail ?

    >> I am guessing it would be to pick up the Welcome message from
    >> http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt and set up some kind of
    >> automated delivery to Usenet once or twice a week. I would
    >> certainly try for automated if possible. Remembering to post
    >> it manually is just too much...

    > Is there some editing responsibility ?

    Do you want it or do you want to avoid it? <g> Do what you think
    is needed (the signature at the bottom of it?), I trust your judgement.
    Since this is an unmoderated, public, forum, it really has nobody as
    its "official greeter" since Shiva stopped posting regularly. For all
    I care you can sign the message as yourself or on behalf of the regulars.
    And if you want to be totally "legit", post a draft for a discussion
    (although I don't really think it's such a big deal).

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 16, 2007
  8. Victor Bazarov

    Jim Langston Guest

    "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > Gianni Mariani wrote:
    >> Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am guessing it would be to pick up the Welcome message from
    >>> http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt and set up some kind of
    >>> automated delivery to Usenet once or twice a week. I would
    >>> certainly try for automated if possible. Remembering to post
    >>> it manually is just too much...

    >> Is there some editing responsibility ?

    > Do you want it or do you want to avoid it? <g> Do what you think
    > is needed (the signature at the bottom of it?), I trust your judgement.
    > Since this is an unmoderated, public, forum, it really has nobody as
    > its "official greeter" since Shiva stopped posting regularly. For all
    > I care you can sign the message as yourself or on behalf of the regulars.
    > And if you want to be totally "legit", post a draft for a discussion
    > (although I don't really think it's such a big deal).

    Arnuld seems to have taken up the task.

    Jim Langston, Aug 16, 2007
  9. Victor Bazarov

    arnuld Guest

    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:44:47 -0700, Jim Langston wrote:

    >> "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    >> Do you want it or do you want to avoid it? <g> Do what you think
    >> is needed (the signature at the bottom of it?), I trust your judgement.
    >> Since this is an unmoderated, public, forum, it really has nobody as
    >> its "official greeter" since Shiva stopped posting regularly. For all
    >> I care you can sign the message as yourself or on behalf of the regulars.
    >> And if you want to be totally "legit", post a draft for a discussion
    >> (although I don't really think it's such a big deal).

    > Arnuld seems to have taken up the task.

    Victor mentioned something like "sign the message as yourself". i hope
    that meant only using one's name at the end of FAQs. how about linking to
    the copy at my blog too ?

    BTW, i will post FAQs every Thursday, IST ( == GMT + 5.5 )

    --
    http://arnuld.blogspot.com

    arnuld, Aug 16, 2007
  10. arnuld wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:44:47 -0700, Jim Langston wrote:

    >>> "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    >>> Do you want it or do you want to avoid it? <g> Do what you think
    >>> is needed (the signature at the bottom of it?), I trust your
    >>> judgement. Since this is an unmoderated, public, forum, it really
    >>> has nobody as
    >>> its "official greeter" since Shiva stopped posting regularly. For
    >>> all
    >>> I care you can sign the message as yourself or on behalf of the
    >>> regulars. And if you want to be totally "legit", post a draft for a
    >>> discussion (although I don't really think it's such a big deal).

    >> Arnuld seems to have taken up the task.

    > Victor mentioned something like "sign the message as yourself". i hope
    > that meant only using one's name at the end of FAQs. how about
    > linking to the copy at my blog too ?

    Only if you want to, and feel comfortable doing so. Of course, if
    the original becomes unavailable we'll have to reproduce is somewhere...

    > BTW, i will post FAQs every Thursday, IST ( == GMT + 5.5 )

    Automatically, not manually, yes? Some kind of cron job, so to speak?

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 16, 2007
  11. Victor Bazarov

    arnuld Guest

    > On Aug 16, 11:34 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:

    > Automatically, not manually, yes? Some kind of cron job, so to speak?

    no, i will do manually. if i set up a cron job, i will forget about
    this responsibility. i don't want to forget it, want to keep in in
    mind. posting one FAQ is not a big deal, just need to copy-paste.

    arnuld, Aug 16, 2007
  12. arnuld wrote:
    >> On Aug 16, 11:34 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <>
    >> wrote:

    >> Automatically, not manually, yes? Some kind of cron job, so to
    >> speak?

    > no, i will do manually. if i set up a cron job, i will forget about
    > this responsibility. i don't want to forget it, want to keep in in
    > mind. posting one FAQ is not a big deal, just need to copy-paste.

    It's up to you, of course.

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 16, 2007