Where is Shiva?

Victor Bazarov

Well, Shiva's probably busy... But where is our Welcome message
that is supposed to be posted every now and then? Somebody wants
to take the job?

Gianni Mariani

Victor said:
Well, Shiva's probably busy... But where is our Welcome message
that is supposed to be posted every now and then? Somebody wants
to take the job?

What does the job entail ?

MiG

Victor said:
I am guessing it would be to pick up the Welcome message from
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt and set up some kind of
automated delivery to Usenet once or twice a week. I would
certainly try for automated if possible. Remembering to post
it manually is just too much...

I have been on comp.lang.c++ for some time now and never have seen this
Shiva message posted. In fact I wasn't aware it even existed.

Now that I've read it (thanks for the link BTW) I think it'd be useful
for all of us to have it posted regularly.

Good idea V.

Jim Langston

MiG said:
I have been on comp.lang.c++ for some time now and never have seen this
Shiva message posted. In fact I wasn't aware it even existed.

Now that I've read it (thanks for the link BTW) I think it'd be useful
for all of us to have it posted regularly.

Becuase it always has the same title, it always goes into the same thread in
my newsreader (and obvoiusly both). If you scroll all the way down to the
oldest messags you should find the thread with the welcome messages.

Victor Bazarov

Gianni said:
Is there some editing responsibility ?

Do you want it or do you want to avoid it? <g> Do what you think
is needed (the signature at the bottom of it?), I trust your judgement.
Since this is an unmoderated, public, forum, it really has nobody as
its "official greeter" since Shiva stopped posting regularly. For all
I care you can sign the message as yourself or on behalf of the regulars.
And if you want to be totally "legit", post a draft for a discussion
(although I don't really think it's such a big deal).

Jim Langston

Victor Bazarov said:
Do you want it or do you want to avoid it? <g> Do what you think
is needed (the signature at the bottom of it?), I trust your judgement.
Since this is an unmoderated, public, forum, it really has nobody as
its "official greeter" since Shiva stopped posting regularly. For all
I care you can sign the message as yourself or on behalf of the regulars.
And if you want to be totally "legit", post a draft for a discussion
(although I don't really think it's such a big deal).

Arnuld seems to have taken up the task.

arnuld

Arnuld seems to have taken up the task.

Victor mentioned something like "sign the message as yourself". i hope
that meant only using one's name at the end of FAQs. how about linking to
the copy at my blog too ?

BTW, i will post FAQs every Thursday, IST ( == GMT + 5.5 )

Victor Bazarov

arnuld said:
Victor mentioned something like "sign the message as yourself". i hope
that meant only using one's name at the end of FAQs. how about
linking to the copy at my blog too ?

Only if you want to, and feel comfortable doing so. Of course, if
the original becomes unavailable we'll have to reproduce is somewhere...
BTW, i will post FAQs every Thursday, IST ( == GMT + 5.5 )

Automatically, not manually, yes? Some kind of cron job, so to speak?

arnuld

Automatically, not manually, yes? Some kind of cron job, so to speak?

no, i will do manually. if i set up a cron job, i will forget about
this responsibility. i don't want to forget it, want to keep in in
mind. posting one FAQ is not a big deal, just need to copy-paste.

Victor Bazarov

arnuld said:
no, i will do manually. if i set up a cron job, i will forget about
this responsibility. i don't want to forget it, want to keep in in
mind. posting one FAQ is not a big deal, just need to copy-paste.

It's up to you, of course.