Where to learn about ASP Classes

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Bruce, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Nov 20, 2007

  2. Anthony Jones, Nov 20, 2007

  3. Bruce wrote:
    > I've been searching for some information on the use of Classes in
    > ASP, but found very little information.
    >
    > I found this http://www.daniweb.com/tutorials/tutorial19997.html .
    >
    > Are there more information somewhere online?

    Please keep in mind the fact that ASP is not a language, and that the
    information provided by other respondents applies to VBScript ONLY.

    The complete list of ASP objects is below. Classes are not listed:

    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Nov 21, 2007
  4. Bruce

    Brynn Guest

    On Nov 20, 10:39 am, "Bruce" <fake_dont_send@anything_.com> wrote:
    > I've been searching for some information on the use of Classes in ASP, but
    > found very little information.
    >
    > I found thishttp://www.daniweb.com/tutorials/tutorial19997.html.
    >
    > Are there more information somewhere online?
    >
    > Thanks

    I studied the HECK out of ASP classes. I spent a lot of time doing it.
    Classes in ASP don't really seem to be all that worth it in most
    cases. I haven't really found any of my code that benchmarks faster as
    a class in ASP. I don't personally waste my time with them ... and I
    use a lot of classic asp still. But here is a starter anyway.

    <%
    '// Class Example - obviously the clas would generally be in a
    seperate file
    '// The name os this class object.
    class exampleClass

    '// Variables that only this class can use.
    private someVar, someOtherVar, someArray(2,0)

    '// Private subroutine that only this class can use.
    private sub mySub()

    end sub

    '// Variable that can be set outside the class with the object.
    public anotherVar, yetAnotherVariable, maybeDatabaseConn

    '// A subroutine that you can call from outside the object
    public doThis()
    '// does somethings in here .. and ...
    call mySub() '// the private sub for this class
    end sub

    '// Functions ... private function ... public function ... same way
    end class

    '// IN USE
    dim myObj
    set myObj = exampleClass
    '// maybe your class is doin database stuff
    myObj.maybeDatabaseConn = "DSN=yourdatabase;"

    '// or set whatever other variables ... then execute the public
    subroutine
    with myObj
    .anotherVar = "whatever"
    .yetAnotherVariable = "whatever"
    call .doThis()
    end with
    set myObj = nothing '// set to nothing when done
    %>
    Brynn, Nov 24, 2007
  5. Brynn wrote:
    > On Nov 20, 10:39 am, "Bruce" <fake_dont_send@anything_.com> wrote:
    >> I've been searching for some information on the use of Classes in
    >> ASP, but found very little information.
    >>
    >> I found thishttp://www.daniweb.com/tutorials/tutorial19997.html.
    >>
    >> Are there more information somewhere online?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I studied the HECK out of ASP classes. I spent a lot of time doing it.
    > Classes in ASP don't really seem to be all that worth it in most
    > cases. I haven't really found any of my code that benchmarks faster as
    > a class in ASP. I don't personally waste my time with them ... and I
    > use a lot of classic asp still. But here is a starter anyway.

    Classes are not about performance: they are about reusability and
    maintainability.The idea is that encapsulating frequently-used code in
    classes makes it easier for that code to be re-used.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 24, 2007
  6. "Brynn" <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 20, 10:39 am, "Bruce" <fake_dont_send@anything_.com> wrote:
    > > I've been searching for some information on the use of Classes in ASP,

    but
    > > found very little information.
    > >
    > > I found thishttp://www.daniweb.com/tutorials/tutorial19997.html.
    > >
    > > Are there more information somewhere online?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > I studied the HECK out of ASP classes. I spent a lot of time doing it.
    > Classes in ASP don't really seem to be all that worth it in most
    > cases. I haven't really found any of my code that benchmarks faster as
    > a class in ASP. I don't personally waste my time with them ... and I
    > use a lot of classic asp still. But here is a starter anyway.

    There are two primary uses for classes in ASP neither of which have to do
    with performance.

    1) Manage complexity. There comes a point where the requirements of an
    application can reach a level of complexity which can't easily be handled by
    procedural approach alone. An OO design helps to manage that and Classes in
    VB can help implement an OO design. Of course a level complexity that
    requires this would probably be best implemented in another language which
    exposes components to be consumed by ASP.

    2) Manage indentifier namespace. VBScript does not contain the concept of a
    module which contain private variables and procedure not accessible outside
    the module. This can be a problem in ASP application which stores libraries
    of useful utilities in include files. For any ASP page that wants to
    include one or more such libraries ALL functions and variables must use a
    unique identifier. This includes functions and variables only actually used
    internally by the library.

    By implementing a library as a Class the class can expose only those
    functions and properties that consuming code need access to. Additional
    those public identifiers will not polute the global namespace since they
    will now be prefixed by the name of an object variable. This especially
    important when you have a team of developers; that don't need to check with
    all other developers and all other modules whether a specific name is
    available for use. E.g,-

    'Include1.asp
    <%
    Class Include1
    Public Function DoSomething()

    End Function
    End Class
    %>

    'Include2.asp
    <%
    Class Include2
    Public Function DoSomething()

    End Function
    End Class
    %>

    'Consumer.asp
    <!-- #include virtual="/library/Include1.asp" -->
    <!-- #include virtual="/library/Include2.asp" -->
    <%

    Dim o1 : Set o1 = New Include1
    Dim o2 : Set o2 = New Include2

    o1.DoSomething
    o2.DoSomething

    %>

    > <%

    <snip> Removed code not showing anything not already present in link the OP
    had already indicated had been read.</snip>

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Nov 24, 2007