where to learn good XML "style"?

Chris

This question may be a little ambiguous but I'm not exactly sure what I'm
asking for (but I'll know it when I see it. :)

I've been tasked to write the SDK interface for our product line and I've
chosen to use XML using POSTs to a server as the interface. Before I draw
this up (which will be used for years to come, no doubt) is there something
I should read about XML "style" or "best practices" in this regard? I'm not
looking for a newbie's guide to XML - I'm a developer and have used it in
many projects. But I'm looking for more of a usability guide or a "don't
make these mistakes" with an eye toward integratability and future
enhancement.

As a specific example of what I'm looking for, someone on this newsgroup not
too long ago made a strong case for using ISO 8601 YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD
date formats in XML data. I would have certainly never known that this was
the "best practice" had I not seen it on this group. THAT's the kind of
things I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,
Chris

Brian Rice

Before I draw
this up (which will be used for years to come, no doubt) is there something
I should read about XML "style" or "best practices" in this regard?

You may also want to take a look at "Effective XML" by Elliotte Rusty
Harold, published by Addison-Wesley. I've found it useful in writing
XML DTDs and Schemas.