Where to put .NET shared DLL's

Random

I have created a couple of DLL's in .NET that I want to use in a couple of
my web projects, that will be running on the same web server. Instead of
thn using the'bin' directory, what is the recommended approach for putting
the DLL's on the web server and having them properly registered so that the
applications recognize the assembly and namespace?

bruce barker

the bin directory is the .net way. its only a little disk space, and it
makes it easy to change or update the dll and control the impact on the web
sites.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Kevin Spencer

The recommended approach is to put them into the bin directory. You could
also register them inthe Global Assembly Cache, but that can be problematic,
esp. if you plan to update them now and then.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Random

Okay, 1) bin directory; or 2) Global Assembly Cache.

1) Well, I've got two web projects. They do not run off of virtual
directories. Which bin directory should I put them in? Won't there be
conflict if I duplicate them?

2) I've looked at this, per Curt's recommendation. Looks easy enough, I've
added them to the cache with no problem. So now I just try to use the <%
Register Assembly="My.Assembly" %> tag? Why don't other projects I've
downloaded and installed seem to have their assemblies listed in the cache,
and the project works?

Kevin Spencer

1) Well, I've got two web projects. They do not run off of virtual
directories. Which bin directory should I put them in? Won't there be
conflict if I duplicate them?

Forget about virtual directories. Virtual Directories have nothing to do
with running ASP.Net. Applications do. The /bin folder should reside
directly under the Application root directory. that would be the directory
in IIS that is configured as an Application. You could not run an ASP.Net
app without one. And if you have 2 separate ASP.Net apps on the same server,
they reside in 2 different Application roots. Otherwise, you just have more
than one directory UNDER the Application root. An IIS Application is defined
as the Application root and all folders under the Application root that are
not Application roots themselves.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin Spencer

Well, you did ask where you should put them. And there will not be a
conflict if you do.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer