Where to start on an error?

jimmy

Hi,

I am trying to build a project in VC++ Express but am getting the
following errors:

arena.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
___glutInitWithExit@12 referenced in function _glutInit_ATEXIT_HACK@8
arena.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
___glutCreateWindowWithExit@8 referenced in function
_glutCreateWindow_ATEXIT_HACK@4
.../wbin/Arena.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals

In general, how should one start on a seemingly obscure errors like
this? (obscure to me at least)

-Jimmy

Moonlit

Hi,

Link errors are usually the most difficult ones.

However looking at the errors you have to add something like glut.lib to
additional libraries in your project and add the path to the library in your
project (I don't know the exact name since I never used openGL myself but
just search for *.lib to see what matches.

--

Regards, Ron AF Greve

http://moonlit.xs4all.nl

Bob Hairgrove

Hi,

I am trying to build a project in VC++ Express but am getting the
following errors:

arena.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
___glutInitWithExit@12 referenced in function _glutInit_ATEXIT_HACK@8
arena.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
___glutCreateWindowWithExit@8 referenced in function
_glutCreateWindow_ATEXIT_HACK@4
../wbin/Arena.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals

In general, how should one start on a seemingly obscure errors like
this? (obscure to me at least)

-Jimmy

Since this has nothing to do with the C++ language, your question is
off-topic for this newsgroup. Any further questions about this would
be better off in one of the Microsoft newsgroups where you are likely
to get answers.

Looks like you are missing a *.lib file or haven't added it to the
project.

shichongdong

It seems that your project doesn't link glut32.lib (win32 platform).
If there is no glut library(.lib,.h,.dll) installed in your machine,go
to http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html to get the latest glut
library.
If there is glut library installed in your mahine already, add
#pragma comment(lib,"glut32.lib") somewhere (always in stdafx.h) in
your project, which make your project link the glut32.lib.
-Jerry