Which characters will never appear in a file path?

alancc

Among 256 characters, which characters will never appear in a valid
file path definitely? The operating system is Windows(Language aan be
Asian language or other different languages).

I belive 0x00 is one of them. But I need to know the others.

Victor Bazarov

Among 256 characters, which characters will never appear in a valid
file path definitely? The operating system is Windows(Language aan be
Asian language or other different languages).

Ask in the newsgroup that deals with your OS. In every OS it's
different and the C++ language does not define what characters are or
aren't appropriate.
I belive 0x00 is one of them. But I need to know the others.

An asterisk and a question mark are usually also invalid (and in more
than one OS, I believe), but, again, this is not the language issue,
it's your OS issue.

osmium

alancc said:
Among 256 characters, which characters will never appear in a valid
file path definitely? The operating system is Windows(Language aan be
Asian language or other different languages).

I belive 0x00 is one of them. But I need to know the others.

Try typing:
msdn valid file names
into gooogle, no quotes.

msdn is sometimes magic.

Jorgen Grahn

Among 256 characters, which characters will never appear in a valid
file path definitely? The operating system is Windows(Language aan be
Asian language or other different languages).

Then ask in a Windows newsgroup. The answer is probably not trivial.
I belive 0x00 is one of them.

Right Any interface which uses C strings will have problems with '\0'.
But I need to know the others.

You should also consider *why* you believe you must know. It's
normally best to try to use whatever string you have, instead
of trying to second-guess the file system.

/Jorgen