    The font normally used when I declare a <PRE>...</PRE> tag is very ugly.

    Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?

    Arty

    Arthur Connor, Jan 2, 2004

  2. In article <bt3ef6$80d$05$-online.com>,
    says...
    > I want to embed some source code lines in an article on a web page.
    > As usual I want to use a fixed sized font for this souce code lines (read: the letters should
    > have all the same width).
    >
    > The font normally used when I declare a <PRE>...</PRE> tag is very ugly.
    >
    > Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?

    How will you know whether the code has been rendered in the font you
    choose by your visitors' user agent?

    <pre> has been deprecated, by the way. Try CSS:
    http://tinyurl.com/2paay

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Arthur Connor

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > How will you know whether the code has been rendered in the font you
    > choose by your visitors' user agent?

    Yo don't, but the real question is do I care?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > <pre> has been deprecated, by the way.

    Since when?

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Jan 2, 2004
  5. In article <bt4l28$dqg$1$>,
    says...
    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >
    > > <pre> has been deprecated, by the way.

    > Since when?

    Arse. I mis-read the spec., reading the bit about the "width"
    attribute. My mistake - it's cream cheese.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Toby A Inkster, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Arthur Connor

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:00:10 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Arthur Connor wrote:
    >
    >> Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?

    >See the CodeStyle.org font survey for commonly installed fonts:
    >
    > http://www.codestyle.org/css/font-family/index.shtml
    >
    >I would recommend the following CSS:
    >
    >pre {
    >
    >}

    Nice site.

    I might expand that CSS a little:

    "Lucida Console", "Andale Mono", "Courier New"

    Bob, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Bob wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Arthur Connor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?

    >> I would recommend the following CSS:
    >> pre { font-family: "Lucida Console", monospace; }

    > I might expand that CSS a little:
    > "Lucida Console", "Andale Mono", "Courier New"

    The OP was explicitly trying to avoid Courier! So why specify over the
    generic monospace font?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Arthur Connor

    Sam Hughes Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote in

    > Bob wrote:
    >
    >> Toby A Inkster wrote:

    >>> I would recommend the following CSS:
    >>> pre { font-family: "Lucida Console", monospace; }

    >> I might expand that CSS a little:
    >> "Lucida Console", "Andale Mono", "Courier New"

    > The OP was explicitly trying to avoid Courier! So why specify over the
    > generic monospace font?

    Whatever.

    How about we throw in some more fixed-width fonts :)

    "Andale Mono", "Lucida Console", "OCR A Extended", "Fixedsys",
    "Terminal", "Courier", monospace;

    Added Courier in there because it is slightly different than Courier New
    :).

    Not sure about the beauty of Terminal and Fixedsys though :).

    Sam Hughes, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Arthur Connor

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:37:28 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Bob wrote:
    >
    >> Toby A Inkster wrote:

    >>> I would recommend the following CSS:
    >>> pre { font-family: "Lucida Console", monospace; }

    >> I might expand that CSS a little:
    >> "Lucida Console", "Andale Mono", "Courier New"

    >The OP was explicitly trying to avoid Courier! So why specify over the
    >generic monospace font?

    The reason I included Courier New is that it is actually a more
    attractive font than Courier. Also, it is a last resort at
    actually choosing a font instead of just picking up a default.

    Bob, Jan 7, 2004