Which KDE IDE for Python?

Bart Ogryczak

Hi,
Rigth now I'm using two IDEs for Python, KDevelop and Eric. Both have
drawbacks. KDevelop is a multilanguage IDE, and doesn't really have
anything special for Python. There's no Python debugger, no PyDOC
integration, it's class browser doesn't display attributes. On the
other side there's Eric, which is made just for Python. But.. it
doesn't integrate with KDE, doesn't support remote files (fish://,
ftp:// etc.). Does anyone know a better IDE for Python, that'll
integrate nicely with KDE?

Diez B. Roggisch

Bart said:
Hi,
Rigth now I'm using two IDEs for Python, KDevelop and Eric. Both have
drawbacks. KDevelop is a multilanguage IDE, and doesn't really have
anything special for Python. There's no Python debugger, no PyDOC
integration, it's class browser doesn't display attributes. On the
other side there's Eric, which is made just for Python. But.. it
doesn't integrate with KDE, doesn't support remote files (fish://,
ftp:// etc.). Does anyone know a better IDE for Python, that'll
integrate nicely with KDE?

I bet you can try and convince Detlev Offenbach (eric developer) to add
that - he already has _some_ KDE-specific stuff in there, and I presume
supporting IO-Slaves might not be too hard.

Diez

Bart Ogryczak

Diez said:
I bet you can try and convince Detlev Offenbach (eric developer) to add
that - he already has _some_ KDE-specific stuff in there, and I presume
supporting IO-Slaves might not be too hard.

Actually I doubt it. For example on question why doesn't Eric use
katepart as editor, he responded:
"Because it is actually written using PyQt and is meant to work on
Win... and Mac OS X as well. Therefore it must not depend on KDE (or
any other non-portable or non-ported toolkit)."

Phil Thompson

Actually I doubt it. For example on question why doesn't Eric use
katepart as editor, he responded:
"Because it is actually written using PyQt and is meant to work on
Win... and Mac OS X as well. Therefore it must not depend on KDE (or
any other non-portable or non-ported toolkit)."

There is a huge difference between depending on something and being able to
use something if it is available. Eric can't depend on katepart, but it can
use the KDE standard dialogs if they are available.

Phil

Diez B. Roggisch

Actually I doubt it. For example on question why doesn't Eric use
katepart as editor, he responded:
"Because it is actually written using PyQt and is meant to work on
Win... and Mac OS X as well. Therefore it must not depend on KDE (or
any other non-portable or non-ported toolkit)."

That is a totally different beast. The editor component is very tangled
into the whole application, whereas the loading/saving can easily
wrapped away. Matter of factly eric already uses _some_ KDE widgets, if
not whole components.

Diez

crystalattice

Bart said:
Hi,
Rigth now I'm using two IDEs for Python, KDevelop and Eric. Both have
drawbacks. KDevelop is a multilanguage IDE, and doesn't really have
anything special for Python. There's no Python debugger, no PyDOC
integration, it's class browser doesn't display attributes. On the
other side there's Eric, which is made just for Python. But.. it
doesn't integrate with KDE, doesn't support remote files (fish://,
ftp:// etc.). Does anyone know a better IDE for Python, that'll
integrate nicely with KDE?

You might try SPE (http://stani.be/python/spe/blog/). I don't know if
it integrates w/ KDE but it's expressly for Python. From the site:

"Spe is a free python IDE with auto indentation & completion, call
tips, syntax coloring & highlighting, UML diagrams, class explorer,
source index, auto todo list, sticky notes, pycrust shell, file
browsers, drag&drop, context help, Blender support, ... Spe ships with
Python debugger (remote & encrypted), wxGlade (gui designer), PyChecker
(source code doctor) and Kiki (regex console)."

Detlev Offenbach

Bart said:
Actually I doubt it. For example on question why doesn't Eric use
katepart as editor, he responded:
"Because it is actually written using PyQt and is meant to work on
Win... and Mac OS X as well. Therefore it must not depend on KDE (or
any other non-portable or non-ported toolkit)."

I am thinking about support for loading/saving files via ftp for eric4.
However, this will most probably be a feature for eric4 4.1 and not the
first release. This will be done in a way, that is independent of KDE.

Regards,
Detlev

Jarek Zgoda

Bart Ogryczak napisa³(a):
Rigth now I'm using two IDEs for Python, KDevelop and Eric. Both have
drawbacks. KDevelop is a multilanguage IDE, and doesn't really have
anything special for Python. There's no Python debugger, no PyDOC
integration, it's class browser doesn't display attributes. On the
other side there's Eric, which is made just for Python. But.. it
doesn't integrate with KDE, doesn't support remote files (fish://,
ftp:// etc.). Does anyone know a better IDE for Python, that'll
integrate nicely with KDE?

No, I don't know *the exactly one*. I used to use Eric3, but it was a
bit of overkill, as I never needed things like interactive debugger.
Kate is good editor with some basic IDE features (interactive console,
project management), but in no way it can be called an integrated
development, it's just advanced editor.

There are some good integrated environments focused on Python
development (Wing IDE, Komodo, PyDev for Eclipse), but none of them is
integrated with KDE, AFAIK.

As a side note, Eric3 has no KDE integration because it's pure PyQt
application.

Diez B. Roggisch

As a side note, Eric3 has no KDE integration because it's pure PyQt
application.

Not fully true. While it certainly doesn't aim to be a fully integrated ide,
it has some kde-support. Which you can disable using the --nokde argument,
btw.

It will then use kde color-dialogs, file-dialogs and the like.

Diez

Jarek Zgoda

Diez B. Roggisch napisa³(a):
Not fully true. While it certainly doesn't aim to be a fully integrated ide,
it has some kde-support. Which you can disable using the --nokde argument,
btw.

It will then use kde color-dialogs, file-dialogs and the like.

I wouldn't call this "integration" (like using kio, dcop, kparts, etc.),
but you are right, it may use some elements of KDE desktop. Anyway, I
think OP's wish for integration was closer to my understanding of
integration with desktop environment. ;)

Which doesn't change situation, that currently there's no KDE-based (nor
even fully integrated with KDE) IDE for Python.

gregarican

SPE looks good. I've used Komodo for about a year or so but am
considering giving SPE a try. All of the malware/spyware/adware that
was attempting to load on my system when I visited the SPE website
wasn't so good, however :-/