Which non SQL Database ?

John Nagle

For something like that, I'd suggest just using SQLite. It comes
with the Python distribution, it's well documented, and reasonably easy
to use.

The "NoSQL" stuff is mostly for people doing really big databases
for large web sites. The kind of operations where you have multiple
data centers, thousands of rackmount servers, a huge traffic load,
and smart people thinking about the implications of "eventually
consistent".

Google's BigTable and Facebook's Cassandra offer impressive
performance at very large scale. But they're way overkill for
a desktop app. Even the midrange systems, like CouchDB, are
far too much machinery for a desktop app.

John Nagle

Aahz

Google's BigTable and Facebook's Cassandra offer impressive
performance at very large scale. But they're way overkill for
a desktop app. Even the midrange systems, like CouchDB, are
far too much machinery for a desktop app.

Side note: one reason we chose Cassandra for our "midrange" requirements
was that it doesn't have master nodes, and we wanted to avoid single
point of failure.

Side note 2: do NOT run Cassandra on a virtual machine. That was a bad
mistake we made because our performance requirements are fairly modest.
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Programming language design is not a rational science. Most reasoning
about it is at best rationalization of gut feelings, and at worst plain
wrong." --GvR, python-ideas, 2009-03-01

Doug Epling

Hello all.

Newbie question. Sorry.

As part of my process to learn python I am working on two personal
applications. Both will do it fine with a simple structure of data
stored in files. I now there are lot of databases around I can use but I
would like to know yoor advice on what other options you would consider
for the job (it is training so no pressure on performance). One
application will run as a desktop one,under Windows, Linux, Macintosh,
being able to update data, not much, not complex, not many records. The
second application, running behind web pages, will do the same, I mean,
process simple data, updating showing data. not much info, not complex.

So, why not LDAP?

Piet van Oostrum

For non-SQL you could look into Kyoto Cabinet, which is Berkeley DB-like. Or ZODB which is a Python Object databes.