Which OS do you use with Ruby

Sergey Gotsulyak

Hello,

I'm from Russia, and Windows is most spreaded here.
But as I can see, in the U.S. (and Europe maybe) Mac OS are very
popular within Ruby developers. Am I right?

Which platform do you prefer to work with Ruby? OS and IDE, I mean. We
just now starting new web application on Ruby on Rails, so it very
interesting for us - which tools are "right" for this task :)

P.S: We have strong experience in PHP, but this language is not
suitable for creative work :)

Robert Klemme

Sergey said:
Hello,

I'm from Russia, and Windows is most spreaded here.
But as I can see, in the U.S. (and Europe maybe) Mac OS are very
popular within Ruby developers. Am I right?

Which platform do you prefer to work with Ruby? OS and IDE, I mean. We
just now starting new web application on Ruby on Rails, so it very
interesting for us - which tools are "right" for this task :)

I use Ruby on cygwin with Textpad and sometimes on Linux with vi(m).
P.S: We have strong experience in PHP, but this language is not
suitable for creative work :)

:))

Kind regards

robert

Dumaiu

Vim and GNU/Linux, mostly Gentoo. Ruby IDEs are still in the nascent
stage.

-Jonathan

Sergey Gotsulyak

I use Ruby on cygwin with Textpad and sometimes on Linux with vi(m).

Hm, why you need cygwin?

I installed One Click Installer for Windows and it has all Ruby
components (interpreter, Gems and so one) that are native for Windows
environment.

Sergey Gotsulyak

Vim and GNU/Linux, mostly Gentoo. Ruby IDEs are still in the nascent

So I see that many folks use Ruby on Linux. And I think that is
because of scripting nature of Ruby - do you use it for automatization
of your work, as many of Unix guru's use Perl, shell scripts, etc?

I tried to find well-known applications of "real world" such as any
kind of popular freeware or shareware and my attempts fails.

As I understand, Ruby novadays has two main use cases:

1. Scripting for maintanance routine day job, especcialy for unix
administrators

2. Web-applications, primarily written with Rails framework

So because this we have two camps now: administrators of Unix, which
use mainly Linux, and web-developers on Rails, which use Mac OS.

Am I wrong with this vision? It's only IMO of newbie, which has
experience only with shareware development on Windows :)

Une bévue

Sergey Gotsulyak said:
But as I can see, in the U.S. (and Europe maybe) Mac OS are very
popular within Ruby developers. Am I right?

MacOS X (latest) i'm using ruby to develop application with RubyCocoa
framework and RubyAeosa for applescripting.

Jonathan Heinen

Windows XP and RadRails!

I like RadRails because it's Eclipse and I'm used to Eclipse like I'm
coming from the good java programming world =)
But I think there are a lot of things qhich should be better in RadRails!

Jonathan

Sergey Gotsulyak

Windows XP and RadRails!

I've tried RadRails, but after splash screen it shows error dialog.
What I see in log-file:

!SESSION Mon Jun 26 16:23:11 YEKST 2006 ----------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.launcher 4 0 2006-06-26 16:23:11.821
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:178)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)

Jonathan Heinen

Oh!
No idea! That's rare! I think I can't help you! Maybe someone else here?

Did you install Suns Java JDK?

Mathieu Blondel

Sergey Gotsulyak wrote :
As I understand, Ruby novadays has two main use cases:

1. Scripting for maintanance routine day job, especcialy for unix
administrators

2. Web-applications, primarily written with Rails framework

Ruby can also be used to write desktop applications.

Sergey Gotsulyak

Did you install Suns Java JDK?

No, I did not. I install only Java JVM 1.5 - it seems that it only
requirement (except Rails stuff) that RadRails need. At least,
developers say this on RadRails webpage :)

Sergey Gotsulyak

Ruby can also be used to write desktop applications.

Yes I know that there are Tk and other GUI libraries for Ruby, but I can't
see any *popular* application written in Ruby. Hope we'll see many
apps in the nearest future :)))

Timothy Goddard

Unfortuantely deployment is the problem here. People don't want to
install a dozen products and packaging Ruby and GUI libraries with
every project you ship could be a pain. Python is starting to get a
desktop presence but other than that programs pretty much have to be
deployed as binaries with few dependencies. Without proper means of
controlling dependencies (think package managers) on the majority of
desktops, this will remain a serious issue. On servers and for your own
scripts this is not so much of an issue, hence the popularity of using
it for these purposes.

Jonathan Heinen

Sergey said:
No, I did not. I install only Java JVM 1.5 - it seems that it only
requirement (except Rails stuff) that RadRails need. At least,
developers say this on RadRails webpage :)

That's right! I ask to ensure that you doesn't try to start it with some
kind of MS Java!

Jonathan

Robert Klemme

Sergey said:
Hm, why you need cygwin?

Because I have cygwin on my system for other tasks and I like the smooth
integration of the cygwin version with bash et al.

Cheers

robert

Trans

Ubunutu or Arch Linux and Kate on Gnome.

In some ways I envy my vim friends but I have just never been able to
get used to modal editing. And actaully I find it takes more key
strokes to do the basic things. shift+; w [enter] vs. ctrl+s for
instance. Nonetheless I use vim for quick changes off the command line.

T.

Mc Osten

Sergey Gotsulyak said:
Which platform do you prefer to work with Ruby?

MacOS X + TextMate (or vim)
Not really a web-developer, event though I do a lot of Rails stuff
recently.

S Wayne

Windows/cygwin/vim
Mac OS X/vim
Linux/vim

I use cygwin because it gives me most of the unix shell commands I'm
used to in Linux and OS X. Windows really needs a better command shell,
but having bash on all of my platforms is great.

The Linux I use is a distribution that my company makes for our network
security products, most like Fedora Core 5 with some extensions.

I use Vim everywhere, because I've been using it for going on 20 years,
and the best advice on being a productive programmer is this: Learn a
good text editor, and use it. Vim 7.0 has some great new features, and
can be compiled to support ruby natively. While I like Eclipse, I don't
much care for editors that cause me to use the mouse. As my 'friends'
in the emacs community say, every time you have to use a Mouse is a
"cache-miss." For programmers, the Mouse is to Productivity as an iPod
is to HDTV.