Which WebSphere products

swun2010

Hi,

I want to develop some portal application with WebSphere. There are
quite a few modules/plugins for WebSphere. I don't know which ones are
useful. I downloaded the following WebSphere related products:
- WebSphere Application Community Edition Version 2 (for Solaris 10)
- Eclipse SDK (3.3.1.1) for Windows
- RAD_V7.0_Part(1-10)
I don't know how useful is RAD_V7.0.
I also found IBM website also have a product called "WebSphere Portal
V6.0". I am confused which products I need to download? The
requirement of my development is shown as below:
Mandatory:
- Develop Portal and Portlets.
- Interact with MySQL database engine (3.0)
Optionally:
- UML (able to reverse engineering).

Can anyone please tell me what modules I need to download? and where
can I download it?
I may be need to give a call to IBM to get a trail version of CDs that
include these application. But I want to know how I need in this
development.

Thank you very much in advance.

Arne Vajhøj

I want to develop some portal application with WebSphere. There are
quite a few modules/plugins for WebSphere. I don't know which ones are
useful. I downloaded the following WebSphere related products:
- WebSphere Application Community Edition Version 2 (for Solaris 10)
- Eclipse SDK (3.3.1.1) for Windows
- RAD_V7.0_Part(1-10)
I don't know how useful is RAD_V7.0.
I also found IBM website also have a product called "WebSphere Portal
V6.0". I am confused which products I need to download? The
requirement of my development is shown as below:
Mandatory:
- Develop Portal and Portlets.
- Interact with MySQL database engine (3.0)
Optionally:
- UML (able to reverse engineering).

Can anyone please tell me what modules I need to download? and where
can I download it?

Websphere Application Server = Java EE application server, can run any
type of Java EE apps

Community Edition = free version of Websphere Application Server, it is
really a Geronimo clone

Websphere Portal = JSR 168 compliant portal application that run in
Websphere Application Server and is able to manage JSR168 portlets

Eclipse = IDE

RAD = Eclipse clone

----

Check the cost of Websphere Portal - unless they will give you something
cheap for development it will be a problem (the list price sounds like
the GDP of a small country !).

----

You will need a portal to develop/test/run portlets.

You do not want to develop your own portal software.

MySQL has a JDBC driver and can be used in apps running in
Websphere Application Server.

Arne

swun2010

[...]

Hi, I forgot mentioned another product called "WebSphere Portlet
Factory". It looks like designer/developer can use this product to
create Portlets *on the fly*.