whiteboard - networking

solomon13000

I came across a code that shows how to implement a java whiteboard.
The code can be found at:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/Courses/comp117/members/lim/a3/whiteboardappletsoucecode.html

I am trying to figure out how to implement it in a network
environment.

The idea I have is to grab what is drawn on the panel, convert it into
an object, and send it to

other clients using a socket connection. Now for this case how do I
grab what is drawn on the

panel and turn it into an object which can be send using a socket to
the other clients so that

they can see the changes on the whiteboard.

Your help is kindly appreciated.

Regards

Eugene

Patrick May

I came across a code that shows how to implement a java whiteboard.
The code can be found at:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/Courses/comp117/members/lim/a3/whiteboardappletsoucecode.html

I am trying to figure out how to implement it in a network
environment.

The idea I have is to grab what is drawn on the panel, convert it
into an object, and send it to other clients using a socket
connection. Now for this case how do I grab what is drawn on the
panel and turn it into an object which can be send using a socket to
the other clients so that they can see the changes on the
whiteboard.

This is a classic master-worker pattern using JavaSpaces. See
http://www.jini.org for examples.

Regards,

Patrick

Roedy Green

I came across a code that shows how to implement a java whiteboard.
The code can be found at:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/Courses/comp117/members/lim/a3/whiteboardappletsoucecode.html

I am trying to figure out how to implement it in a network
environment.

What you might do is use RMI. Then you can do remote procedure calls.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/rmi.html

Other than that, you need to invent a protocol, messages to describe
all the things you want you whiteboard to do and all the possible
changes the central whiteboard sends back to the remotes to make it
stay in sync.

Ways to implements:

1. all commands get sent to all whiteboards for independent rendering.

2. use something like PCAnywhere to display the rendered central
resulst.

3. study how other conference software works.

Chris

I came across a code that shows how to implement a java whiteboard.
The code can be found at:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/Courses/comp117/members/lim/a3/whiteboardappletsoucecode.html

I am trying to figure out how to implement it in a network
environment.

The idea I have is to grab what is drawn on the panel, convert it into
an object, and send it to

other clients using a socket connection. Now for this case how do I
grab what is drawn on the

panel and turn it into an object which can be send using a socket to
the other clients so that

they can see the changes on the whiteboard.

I once saw a demo of this using Terracotta. http://www.terracotta.org/

They may have the demo lying around someplace, maybe as sample code.