who decides the size of a data type?

Keith Thompson

Richard Heathfield said:
Keith Thompson said:

The point I think /you're/ missing is that we are constantly enjoined to be
generous in what we accept, but strict in what we produce. And we try to
be. But it would sure be good if some *other people* tried doing the same
thing.

Programmers are supposed to be amongst the brightest people on the planet.
They should be able to *learn*. When people show an inability or
unwillingness to learn, that doesn't bode well for their future career as
a programmer.

Agreed, but it also wouldn't hurt for writers to this newsgroup to read the
group for a while before posting, and learn how to use the word
'question'.

I'm not sure why you say I'm missing that point, when I made it in
this very thread 5 days ago:
| In Indian English, "doubt" is often used as a synonym for "question".
| In dialects of English outside India, "doubt" has a connotation of
| disbelief.
|
| Non-Indian readers need to understand this. Indian posters should, I
| suggest, try to use the word "question" rather than "doubt" when
| posting in international forums like this one to avoid confusion.

I didn't reiterate the second part because it wasn't relevant to what
I was responding to.

Keith Thompson

Whereas I'm (un?)reliably informed that in the London dialect, "bare" is
used to mean "very", and "cheers" means "thank you". Shall we adopt
those, as well, on this barely legible newsgroup?

I'd be very interested in seeing a citation of an article in which I
suggested something even vaguely similar to that.

I was merely making an observation, and I've already suggested that
Indian posters should consider avoiding the use of "doubt" as a
synonym for "question" when posting here.

Flash Gordon

Keith Thompson wrote, On 21/03/08 16:12:
I'd be very interested in seeing a citation of an article in which I
suggested something even vaguely similar to that.

Well, I can state that outside London (I live a little outside London)
"cheers" is often used to mean "thank you", to me it is idiomatic
English. I have not come across "bare" being used as "very".
I was merely making an observation, and I've already suggested that
Indian posters should consider avoiding the use of "doubt" as a
synonym for "question" when posting here.

I agree.

My opinion is people shout NOT post *just* to point out non-standard
English from a non-native English speaker. However, if posting a
response for other reasons there is nothing wrong with politely pointing
out that it is non-standard English.