Why cannot open .txt file with Encoding = UNICODE using javascript window.open()?

Discussion in 'Java' started by ml, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. ml

    ml Guest

    I wrote the following code to open text file:
    var features = 'toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=yes,menubar=yes,title=no,scrollbars=yes,
    width=600,height=450';
    window.open(url, 'XXX', features);

    I found that when the file is with encoding = UNICODE, a system
    message wlll be prompted:
    "Some files can harm your computer. If the file information below look
    suspicious, or you do not fully trust the source, do you open or save
    the file."

    When I choose "open", there is an error saying that file cannot be
    found in temporary internet file folder. However, if I choose "save",
    I can save the file sucessfully to my computer.

    I tested that if the file with encoding=UTF-8, it can be opened using
    javascript window.open() method!!!

    do anyone why the file cannot be "open"?

    BTW, I need to generate the text file using Java on Solaris platform,
    do unicode text file can be read on Solaris??

    Many thanks for answering my question.
    ml, Nov 30, 2004