Why did my stylesheet stop working?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Salerno, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Hi everyone. I recently moved my website to a new (free) address and
    I've noticed that now the style sheet for one section isn't working
    anymore. It's this page and any of the links:

    http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/

    The stylesheet link is:

    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/msdn.css" />

    and I've retained the same structure as before, so I'm not sure why it
    doesn't still work the same.

    The only difference is that previously, the link was a subdomain like
    this: gestalt.johnjsal.com, whereas now it's just an extra directory at
    the end of the URL. But still, does this have anything to do with it?

    Thanks,
    John

    John Salerno, Nov 20, 2007

  2. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Hi everyone. I recently moved my website to a new (free) address and
    > I've noticed that now the style sheet for one section isn't working
    > anymore. It's this page and any of the links:
    >
    > http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/
    >
    > The stylesheet link is:
    >
    > <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/msdn.css" />
    >
    > and I've retained the same structure as before, so I'm not sure why it
    > doesn't still work the same.
    >
    > The only difference is that previously, the link was a subdomain like
    > this: gestalt.johnjsal.com, whereas now it's just an extra directory at
    > the end of the URL. But still, does this have anything to do with it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    P.S. This is the structure:

    "gestalt" directory contains the index.html file and the folders:
    functions, tutorial, and style

    "functions" directory contains the pages for everything but the
    "Tutorial" link, which is contained in the "tutorial" directory

    "style" directory contains "MSDN.css"

    Thanks

    John Salerno, Nov 20, 2007

  3. John Salerno

    rf Guest

    "John Salerno" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone. I recently moved my website to a new (free) address and I've
    > noticed that now the style sheet for one section isn't working anymore.
    > It's this page and any of the links:
    >
    > http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/
    >
    > The stylesheet link is:
    >
    > <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/msdn.css" />

    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/MSDN.css" /> (note
    case)

    And by the way, if you type in an incorrect URL, say
    http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html rather than
    http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/index.html (try it and see) whatever
    hosting you are using hijacks the browser and fires up to a dozen bloody
    popup windows advertising absolutely everything and no, I don't know how
    they get around firefox's popup blocker. Bloody annoying IMHO. Is this what
    you *really* want your viewer to see instead of a standard 404 page?

    If I were you I would not now, nor ever again, use that free host.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 20, 2007
  4. On 2007-11-20, rf wrote:
    > And by the way, if you type in an incorrect URL, say
    > http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html rather than
    > http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/index.html (try it and see) whatever
    > hosting you are using hijacks the browser and fires up to a dozen bloody
    > popup windows advertising absolutely everything and no, I don't know how
    > they get around firefox's popup blocker.

    I don't get any popups with Firefox 2.0.0.9. Pehaps AdBlock helps.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Nov 20, 2007
  5. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    rf wrote:

    >> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/msdn.css" />

    > <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/MSDN.css" /> (note
    > case)

    Wow, that's weird. I didn't change anything from the way it was on the
    other website, and it used to work. Does it depend on the server?

    Thanks though!

    > And by the way, if you type in an incorrect URL, say
    > http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html rather than
    > http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/index.html (try it and see) whatever
    > hosting you are using hijacks the browser and fires up to a dozen bloody
    > popup windows advertising absolutely everything and no, I don't know how
    > they get around firefox's popup blocker. Bloody annoying IMHO. Is this what
    > you *really* want your viewer to see instead of a standard 404 page?
    >
    > If I were you I would not now, nor ever again, use that free host.

    But the regular link doesn't produce any pop-ups, does it? It's not
    supposed to.

    John Salerno, Nov 20, 2007
  6. John Salerno

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:32:31
    GMT rf scribed:

    > And by the way, if you type in an incorrect URL, say
    > http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html rather than
    > http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/index.html (try it and see)
    > whatever hosting you are using hijacks the browser and fires up to a
    > dozen bloody popup windows advertising absolutely everything and no, I
    > don't know how they get around firefox's popup blocker. Bloody
    > annoying IMHO. Is this what you *really* want your viewer to see
    > instead of a standard 404 page?
    >
    > If I were you I would not now, nor ever again, use that free host.

    Saw this in source:

    <!-- ValueClick Media POP-UNDER CODE v1.8 for prophp.org (4 hour) -->
    <script language="javascript"><!--
    var dc=document; var date_ob=new Date();
    dc.cookie='h2=o; path=/;';var bust=date_ob.getSeconds();
    if(dc.cookie.indexOf('e=llo') <= 0 && dc.cookie.indexOf('2=o') > 0){
    dc.write('<scr'+'ipt language="javascript"
    src="http://media.fastclick.net');
    dc.write('/w/pop.cgi?sid=36522&m=2&tp=2&v=1.8&c='+bust+'"></scr'+'ipt>');
    date_ob.setTime(date_ob.getTime()+14400000);
    dc.cookie='he=llo; path=/; expires='+ date_ob.toGMTString();} // -->
    </script>
    <!-- ValueClick Media POP-UNDER CODE v1.8 for prophp.org -->

    <IFRAME SRC="http://byet.org:8080" WIDTH=0 HEIGHT=0></IFRAME> <link
    rel="EditURI" type="application/rsd+xml" title="RSD"
    href="http://blog.byethost.com/xmlrpc.php?rsd" />

    I kept trying to load something from ad.directaclick.com on my box but
    that's as far as it got, I think because I have Hostman. Page sucks.

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

    Bone Ur, Nov 20, 2007
  7. John Salerno

    > rf wrote:
    >
    >>> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/msdn.css" />

    >> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/MSDN.css" /> (note
    >> case)
    >>

    > Wow, that's weird. I didn't change anything from the way it was on the
    > other website, and it used to work. Does it depend on the server?

    The Windows file system is case insensitive. Linux's is case sensitive. That
    flows through the server. You have probably moved from a Windows based
    server (be it IIS or Apache, doesn't matter) to a Linux one. Very common
    problem.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 20, 2007
  8. John Salerno wrote:
    > Hi everyone. I recently moved my website to a new (free) address and
    > I've noticed that now the style sheet for one section isn't working
    > anymore. It's this page and any of the links:
    >
    > http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/
    >
    > The stylesheet link is:
    >
    > <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/msdn.css" />
    >
    > and I've retained the same structure as before, so I'm not sure why it
    > doesn't still work the same.
    >
    > The only difference is that previously, the link was a subdomain like
    > this: gestalt.johnjsal.com, whereas now it's just an extra directory at
    > the end of the URL. But still, does this have anything to do with it?

    How can this have worked before? If, previously, your pages were
    directly under gestalt.johnjsal.com, then the ".." would have referred
    to a nonexistent parent directory.

    As for now, the ".." would take you up to the parent of the gestalt
    directory, but perhaps the web server has been configured (for security
    reasons) not to allow use of the parent operator "..".

    Harlan Messinger, Nov 20, 2007
  9. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Harlan Messinger wrote:

    > How can this have worked before? If, previously, your pages were
    > directly under gestalt.johnjsal.com, then the ".." would have referred
    > to a nonexistent parent directory.
    >
    > As for now, the ".." would take you up to the parent of the gestalt
    > directory, but perhaps the web server has been configured (for security
    > reasons) not to allow use of the parent operator "..".

    Well, the link was gestalt.johnjsal.com, but I guess that was just an
    alias for www.johnjsal.com/gestalt, because the directory structure was
    the same as it is now.

    John Salerno, Nov 20, 2007
  10. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Bone Ur wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:32:31
    > GMT rf scribed:
    >
    >> And by the way, if you type in an incorrect URL, say
    >> http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html rather than
    >> http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/index.html (try it and see)
    >> whatever hosting you are using hijacks the browser and fires up to a
    >> dozen bloody popup windows advertising absolutely everything and no, I
    >> don't know how they get around firefox's popup blocker. Bloody
    >> annoying IMHO. Is this what you *really* want your viewer to see
    >> instead of a standard 404 page?
    >>
    >> If I were you I would not now, nor ever again, use that free host.

    > Saw this in source:
    >
    > <!-- ValueClick Media POP-UNDER CODE v1.8 for prophp.org (4 hour) -->
    > <script language="javascript"><!--
    > var dc=document; var date_ob=new Date();
    > dc.cookie='h2=o; path=/;';var bust=date_ob.getSeconds();
    > if(dc.cookie.indexOf('e=llo') <= 0 && dc.cookie.indexOf('2=o') > 0){
    > dc.write('<scr'+'ipt language="javascript"
    > src="http://media.fastclick.net');
    > dc.write('/w/pop.cgi?sid=36522&m=2&tp=2&v=1.8&c='+bust+'"></scr'+'ipt>');
    > date_ob.setTime(date_ob.getTime()+14400000);
    > dc.cookie='he=llo; path=/; expires='+ date_ob.toGMTString();} // -->
    > </script>
    > <!-- ValueClick Media POP-UNDER CODE v1.8 for prophp.org -->
    >
    > <IFRAME SRC="http://byet.org:8080" WIDTH=0 HEIGHT=0></IFRAME> <link
    > rel="EditURI" type="application/rsd+xml" title="RSD"
    > href="http://blog.byethost.com/xmlrpc.php?rsd" />
    >
    > I kept trying to load something from ad.directaclick.com on my box but
    > that's as far as it got, I think because I have Hostman. Page sucks.

    You saw that in my source? Where? I don't see it.

    John Salerno, Nov 20, 2007
  11. John Salerno wrote:
    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >
    >> How can this have worked before? If, previously, your pages were
    >> directly under gestalt.johnjsal.com, then the ".." would have referred
    >> to a nonexistent parent directory.
    >>
    >> As for now, the ".." would take you up to the parent of the gestalt
    >> directory, but perhaps the web server has been configured (for
    >> security reasons) not to allow use of the parent operator "..".

    > Well, the link was gestalt.johnjsal.com, but I guess that was just an
    > alias for www.johnjsal.com/gestalt, because the directory structure was
    > the same as it is now.

    If before your pages were under gestalt.johnjsal.com and now they are
    under www.johnjsal.com/gestalt, then the directory structure was not the
    same as it is now because before your pages were in the root and now
    they are one directory down. I think your point is that *within* your
    pages the structure is the same, or even that they haven't even been
    moved within the server's physical directory structure, but that's
    beside the point. What matters is the logical *website* structure. If
    you previously navigated to http://gestalt.johnjsal.com/x.y and that's
    the address that continued to appear in the browser's address field
    after the page loaded, then that means that there *was* no parent
    directory: the root doesn't have a parent directory. This technically
    made ".." meaningless. At best, the web server would have treated the
    root as its own parent--but that *isn't* the case now: with your pages
    one level down, the parent directory is the root directory, which is now
    *different* from the directory containing the pages.

    Harlan Messinger, Nov 20, 2007
  12. Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >> Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >>
    >>> How can this have worked before? If, previously, your pages were
    >>> directly under gestalt.johnjsal.com, then the ".." would have
    >>> referred to a nonexistent parent directory.
    >>>
    >>> As for now, the ".." would take you up to the parent of the gestalt
    >>> directory, but perhaps the web server has been configured (for
    >>> security reasons) not to allow use of the parent operator "..".

    >> Well, the link was gestalt.johnjsal.com, but I guess that was just an
    >> alias for www.johnjsal.com/gestalt, because the directory structure
    >> was the same as it is now.

    > If before your pages were under gestalt.johnjsal.com and now they are
    > under www.johnjsal.com/gestalt, then the directory structure was not the
    > same as it is now because before your pages were in the root and now
    > they are one directory down. I think your point is that *within* your
    > pages the structure is the same, or even that they haven't even been
    > moved within the server's physical directory structure, but that's
    > beside the point. What matters is the logical *website* structure. If
    > you previously navigated to http://gestalt.johnjsal.com/x.y and that's
    > the address that continued to appear in the browser's address field
    > after the page loaded, then that means that there *was* no parent
    > directory: the root doesn't have a parent directory. This technically
    > made ".." meaningless. At best, the web server would have treated the
    > root as its own parent--but that *isn't* the case now: with your pages
    > one level down, the parent directory is the root directory, which is now
    > *different* from the directory containing the pages.

    Let me make this clearer. If the current page is

    http://example.com/x.y

    and it has an href on it that reads

    "../a.b"

    this will either be treated as a bad address or as

    http://example.com/a.b

    If the same page is now at the address

    http://example.com/foo/x.y

    then the href "../a.b" will be treated as

    http://example.com/a.b

    unless parent directories aren't allowed, in which case who knows how
    this will be treated.

    Harlan Messinger, Nov 20, 2007
  13. John Salerno

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:51:12
    GMT John Salerno scribed:

    >> Saw this in source:
    >>
    >> <!-- ValueClick Media POP-UNDER CODE v1.8 for prophp.org (4
    >> hour) -->
    >> <script language="javascript"><!--
    >> var dc=document; var date_ob=new Date();
    >> dc.cookie='h2=o; path=/;';var bust=date_ob.getSeconds();
    >> if(dc.cookie.indexOf('e=llo') <= 0 && dc.cookie.indexOf('2=o') > 0){
    >> dc.write('<scr'+'ipt language="javascript"
    >> src="http://media.fastclick.net');
    >> dc.write('/w/pop.cgi?sid=36522&m=2&tp=2&v=1.8&c='+bust+'"></scr'+'ipt>
    >> '); date_ob.setTime(date_ob.getTime()+14400000);
    >> dc.cookie='he=llo; path=/; expires='+ date_ob.toGMTString();} // -->
    >> </script>
    >> <!-- ValueClick Media POP-UNDER CODE v1.8 for prophp.org -->
    >>
    >> <IFRAME SRC="http://byet.org:8080" WIDTH=0 HEIGHT=0></IFRAME>
    >> <link rel="EditURI" type="application/rsd+xml" title="RSD"
    >> href="http://blog.byethost.com/xmlrpc.php?rsd" />
    >>
    >> I kept trying to load something from ad.directaclick.com on my box
    >> but that's as far as it got, I think because I have Hostman. Page
    >> sucks.
    >>

    > You saw that in my source? Where? I don't see it.

    No, not in the source of your page, in the source of a redirected error
    page which is one of the most heinous bits of markup and j/s code I've ever
    run across. Someone probably thought he was being clever, but he was just
    being obtuse. This is one of the advantages of browsers like
    Firefox/Mozilla and even Opera pretty much which give a thought to common
    security and sense. The underlying prevailing attitude might be considered
    the antithesis to the mindwork which concocted Active-X.

    Bone Ur, Nov 20, 2007
  14. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Harlan Messinger wrote:

    >> If before your pages were under gestalt.johnjsal.com and now they are
    >> under www.johnjsal.com/gestalt, then the directory structure was not the
    >> same as it is now

    Yeah, I think I was thinking that the structure was the same *within*
    the pages, like you said.

    John Salerno, Nov 20, 2007
  15. John Salerno wrote:

    > Bone Ur wrote:
    >> rf scribed:
    >>> And by the way, if you type in an incorrect URL, say
    >>> http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html rather than

    >> Saw this in source:
    >>
    >> <!-- ValueClick Media POP-UNDER CODE v1.8 for prophp.org (4 hour) -->
    >> <script language="javascript"><!--
    >> var dc=document; var date_ob=new Date();

    <sniprest>

    > You saw that in my source? Where? I don't see it.

    Notice he said "if you type in an incorrect URL..."

    http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html

    Go ahead, try it.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 20, 2007
  16. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >> Bone Ur wrote:
    >>> rf scribed:
    >>> Saw this in source:
    >>>
    >>> <!-- ValueClick Media POP-UNDER CODE v1.8 for prophp.org (4 hour) -->
    >>> <script language="javascript"><!--
    >>> var dc=document; var date_ob=new Date();

    > <sniprest>
    >> You saw that in my source? Where? I don't see it.

    > Notice he said "if you type in an incorrect URL..."
    >
    > http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html
    >
    > Go ahead, try it.

    Well, I noticed that a *different* person said that, not him.

    John Salerno, Nov 21, 2007