Why did my stylesheet stop working?

John Salerno

Hi everyone. I recently moved my website to a new (free) address and
I've noticed that now the style sheet for one section isn't working
anymore. It's this page and any of the links:

http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/

The stylesheet link is:

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/msdn.css" />

and I've retained the same structure as before, so I'm not sure why it
doesn't still work the same.

The only difference is that previously, the link was a subdomain like
this: gestalt.johnjsal.com, whereas now it's just an extra directory at
the end of the URL. But still, does this have anything to do with it?

Thanks,
John

John Salerno

John said:
Hi everyone. I recently moved my website to a new (free) address and
I've noticed that now the style sheet for one section isn't working
anymore. It's this page and any of the links:

http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/

The stylesheet link is:

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/msdn.css" />

and I've retained the same structure as before, so I'm not sure why it
doesn't still work the same.

The only difference is that previously, the link was a subdomain like
this: gestalt.johnjsal.com, whereas now it's just an extra directory at
the end of the URL. But still, does this have anything to do with it?

Thanks,
John

P.S. This is the structure:

"gestalt" directory contains the index.html file and the folders:
functions, tutorial, and style

"functions" directory contains the pages for everything but the
"Tutorial" link, which is contained in the "tutorial" directory

"style" directory contains "MSDN.css"

Thanks

rf

John Salerno said:
Hi everyone. I recently moved my website to a new (free) address and I've
noticed that now the style sheet for one section isn't working anymore.
It's this page and any of the links:

http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/

The stylesheet link is:

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/msdn.css" />

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/MSDN.css" /> (note
case)

And by the way, if you type in an incorrect URL, say
http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html rather than
http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/index.html (try it and see) whatever
hosting you are using hijacks the browser and fires up to a dozen bloody
popup windows advertising absolutely everything and no, I don't know how
they get around firefox's popup blocker. Bloody annoying IMHO. Is this what
you *really* want your viewer to see instead of a standard 404 page?

If I were you I would not now, nor ever again, use that free host.

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2007-11-20, rf wrote:
And by the way, if you type in an incorrect URL, say
http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html rather than
http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/index.html (try it and see) whatever
hosting you are using hijacks the browser and fires up to a dozen bloody
popup windows advertising absolutely everything and no, I don't know how
they get around firefox's popup blocker.

I don't get any popups with Firefox 2.0.0.9. Pehaps AdBlock helps.

John Salerno

rf said:
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/MSDN.css" /> (note
case)

Wow, that's weird. I didn't change anything from the way it was on the
other website, and it used to work. Does it depend on the server?

Thanks though!
And by the way, if you type in an incorrect URL, say
http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html rather than
http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/index.html (try it and see) whatever
hosting you are using hijacks the browser and fires up to a dozen bloody
popup windows advertising absolutely everything and no, I don't know how
they get around firefox's popup blocker. Bloody annoying IMHO. Is this what
you *really* want your viewer to see instead of a standard 404 page?

If I were you I would not now, nor ever again, use that free host.

But the regular link doesn't produce any pop-ups, does it? It's not
supposed to.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:32:31
GMT rf scribed:
And by the way, if you type in an incorrect URL, say
http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/indexyz.html rather than
http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/index.html (try it and see)
whatever hosting you are using hijacks the browser and fires up to a
dozen bloody popup windows advertising absolutely everything and no, I
don't know how they get around firefox's popup blocker. Bloody
annoying IMHO. Is this what you *really* want your viewer to see
instead of a standard 404 page?

If I were you I would not now, nor ever again, use that free host.

Saw this in source:

<!-- ValueClick Media POP-UNDER CODE v1.8 for prophp.org (4 hour) -->
<script language="javascript"><!--
var dc=document; var date_ob=new Date();
dc.cookie='h2=o; path=/;';var bust=date_ob.getSeconds();
if(dc.cookie.indexOf('e=llo') <= 0 && dc.cookie.indexOf('2=o') > 0){
dc.write('<scr'+'ipt language="javascript"
src="http://media.fastclick.net');
dc.write('/w/pop.cgi?sid=36522&m=2&tp=2&v=1.8&c='+bust+'"></scr'+'ipt>');
date_ob.setTime(date_ob.getTime()+14400000);
dc.cookie='he=llo; path=/; expires='+ date_ob.toGMTString();} // -->
</script>
<!-- ValueClick Media POP-UNDER CODE v1.8 for prophp.org -->

<IFRAME SRC="http://byet.org:8080" WIDTH=0 HEIGHT=0></IFRAME> <link
rel="EditURI" type="application/rsd+xml" title="RSD"
href="http://blog.byethost.com/xmlrpc.php?rsd" />

I kept trying to load something from ad.directaclick.com on my box but
that's as far as it got, I think because I have Hostman. Page sucks.

rf

John Salerno said:
Wow, that's weird. I didn't change anything from the way it was on the
other website, and it used to work. Does it depend on the server?

The Windows file system is case insensitive. Linux's is case sensitive. That
flows through the server. You have probably moved from a Windows based
server (be it IIS or Apache, doesn't matter) to a Linux one. Very common
problem.

Harlan Messinger

John said:
Hi everyone. I recently moved my website to a new (free) address and
I've noticed that now the style sheet for one section isn't working
anymore. It's this page and any of the links:

http://johnjsal.infernohost.net/gestalt/

The stylesheet link is:

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../style/msdn.css" />

and I've retained the same structure as before, so I'm not sure why it
doesn't still work the same.

The only difference is that previously, the link was a subdomain like
this: gestalt.johnjsal.com, whereas now it's just an extra directory at
the end of the URL. But still, does this have anything to do with it?

How can this have worked before? If, previously, your pages were
directly under gestalt.johnjsal.com, then the ".." would have referred
to a nonexistent parent directory.

As for now, the ".." would take you up to the parent of the gestalt
directory, but perhaps the web server has been configured (for security
reasons) not to allow use of the parent operator "..".

John Salerno

Harlan said:
How can this have worked before? If, previously, your pages were
directly under gestalt.johnjsal.com, then the ".." would have referred
to a nonexistent parent directory.

As for now, the ".." would take you up to the parent of the gestalt
directory, but perhaps the web server has been configured (for security
reasons) not to allow use of the parent operator "..".

Well, the link was gestalt.johnjsal.com, but I guess that was just an
alias for www.johnjsal.com/gestalt, because the directory structure was
the same as it is now.

John Salerno

Bone said:
[...]

You saw that in my source? Where? I don't see it.

Harlan Messinger

John said:
Well, the link was gestalt.johnjsal.com, but I guess that was just an
alias for www.johnjsal.com/gestalt, because the directory structure was
the same as it is now.

If before your pages were under gestalt.johnjsal.com and now they are
under www.johnjsal.com/gestalt, then the directory structure was not the
same as it is now because before your pages were in the root and now
they are one directory down. I think your point is that *within* your
pages the structure is the same, or even that they haven't even been
moved within the server's physical directory structure, but that's
beside the point. What matters is the logical *website* structure. If
you previously navigated to http://gestalt.johnjsal.com/x.y and that's
the address that continued to appear in the browser's address field
after the page loaded, then that means that there *was* no parent
directory: the root doesn't have a parent directory. This technically
made ".." meaningless. At best, the web server would have treated the
root as its own parent--but that *isn't* the case now: with your pages
one level down, the parent directory is the root directory, which is now
*different* from the directory containing the pages.

Harlan Messinger

Harlan said:
[...]

Let me make this clearer. If the current page is

http://example.com/x.y

and it has an href on it that reads

"../a.b"

this will either be treated as a bad address or as

http://example.com/a.b

If the same page is now at the address

http://example.com/foo/x.y

then the href "../a.b" will be treated as

http://example.com/a.b

unless parent directories aren't allowed, in which case who knows how
this will be treated.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:51:12
GMT John Salerno scribed:
You saw that in my source? Where? I don't see it.

No, not in the source of your page, in the source of a redirected error
page which is one of the most heinous bits of markup and j/s code I've ever
run across. Someone probably thought he was being clever, but he was just
being obtuse. This is one of the advantages of browsers like
Firefox/Mozilla and even Opera pretty much which give a thought to common
security and sense. The underlying prevailing attitude might be considered
the antithesis to the mindwork which concocted Active-X.

John Salerno

Yeah, I think I was thinking that the structure was the same *within*
the pages, like you said.