Why doesn't IDLE editor windows have horizontal scrollbars?

chuck

The browser windows do. Why not the editor windows?

I hate to complain but is there any way to get IDLE to run in more of
an MDI mode? Having the floating windows everywhere is rather
confusing to me.

bruno modulix

chuck said:
The browser windows do. Why not the editor windows?

I hate to complain but is there any way to get IDLE to run in more of
an MDI mode? Having the floating windows everywhere is rather
confusing to me.

IDLE is open source, so you may want to consider contributing to it !-)
More seriously, I dont think IDLE is intended to be a real professional
IDE - anyway, I would not use it as such.

chuck

Well I don't want to start yet another thread on IDE's. I've googled
and all of that an am aware of most of the IDE's that are out there. I
am curious if there is someplace where statistics have been captured on
what IDE's most people are using. Since IDLE ships with Python I
assume a lot of people use it. I've been a PythonWin user for years
but it has shortcomings, isnt' being developed further and doesn't run
on FreeBSD, my other platform.

fuzzylollipop

you assume wrong, most people DONT use it that is why it is in the
crappy state it is in
there ARE MUCH BETTER ALTERNATIVES, just pick one

Jussi Jumppanen

chuck said:
The browser windows do. Why not the editor windows?

I hate to complain but is there any way to get IDLE to
run in more of an MDI mode?

FWIW the Zeus editor uses the MDI interface model:

http://www.zeusedit.com/lookmain.html

Zeus also has syntax highlighting and code folding for
the Python language. You can even write Zeus macros in
Python.

NOTE: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial period).

Jussi Jumppanen
Author of: Zeus for Windows Editor

D H

chuck said:
Well I don't want to start yet another thread on IDE's. I've googled
and all of that an am aware of most of the IDE's that are out there. I
am curious if there is someplace where statistics have been captured on
what IDE's most people are using. Since IDLE ships with Python I
assume a lot of people use it. I've been a PythonWin user for years
but it has shortcomings, isnt' being developed further and doesn't run
on FreeBSD, my other platform.

I like the JEdit editor, which is free and cross-platform (
http://www.jedit.org/ ), and for the interpreter if you ever use that,
there is the normal console (cmd.exe in windows) or see also IPython.
There is also a console plugin for JEdit.

But if you want a more full-featured IDE with project management, etc.,
there is a Python addin for the Eclipse IDE called pydev I believe. I
haven't tried it myself though.