Why don't they fix this?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jan Faerber, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Jan Faerber

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Jan Faerber, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Jan Faerber wrote:

    > Why don't they fix this?
    >
    > http://www.cleverlearn.com/en/index.jsp

    They use DreamWeaver and don't know how to write real stuff?
    Bad template?

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Jan Faerber

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Jan Faerber <jancfaerber_spider@monkey_hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Why don't they fix this?
    >
    >http://www.cleverlearn.com/en/index.jsp

    Why don't you ask them?
    Telepathy isn't generally advertised as a skill by alt.html
    participants.

    My guess is that they only bothered to test in IE6 and so think that
    it's perfectly okay. (Though I get something very off happening with
    the text in the bottom right corner in IE6, but other than that it's
    nowhere near as broken as it is in IE5, Firefox or Opera.)

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Jan Faerber

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jan Faerber wrote:
    >
    >> Why don't they fix this?
    >>
    >> http://www.cleverlearn.com/en/index.jsp

    > They use DreamWeaver and don't know how to write real stuff?
    > Bad template?

    Throw away comment. You should know better Shaggy!

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 9, 2005
  5. Jan Faerber

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Jan Faerber <jancfaerber_spider@monkey_hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Why don't they fix this?
    >>
    >>http://www.cleverlearn.com/en/index.jsp

    > Why don't you ask them?
    > Telepathy isn't generally advertised as a skill by alt.html
    > participants.
    >
    > My guess is that they only bothered to test in IE6 and so think that
    > it's perfectly okay. (Though I get something very off happening with
    > the text in the bottom right corner in IE6, but other than that it's
    > nowhere near as broken as it is in IE5, Firefox or Opera.)

    hm... They try to be uptodate:
    http://www.cleverlearn.com/en/clevergames.jsp
    Here they asked me to download a newer Flashplayer Version 7.

    --
    Jan

    http://linux.janfaerber.com

    Jan Faerber, Jan 9, 2005
  6. Jan Faerber

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Jan Faerber wrote:

    > Steve Pugh wrote:
    >
    >> Jan Faerber <jancfaerber_spider@monkey_hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Why don't they fix this?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.cleverlearn.com/en/index.jsp

    >> Why don't you ask them?
    >> Telepathy isn't generally advertised as a skill by alt.html
    >> participants.
    >>
    >> My guess is that they only bothered to test in IE6 and so think that
    >> it's perfectly okay. (Though I get something very off happening with
    >> the text in the bottom right corner in IE6, but other than that it's
    >> nowhere near as broken as it is in IE5, Firefox or Opera.)

    > hm... They try to be uptodate:
    > http://www.cleverlearn.com/en/clevergames.jsp
    > Here they asked me to download a newer Flashplayer Version 7.

    http://content.cleverlearn.com/dev/newsletter/ChallengerPopup_de.htm

    Very good! I improved my english.

    --
    Jan

    http://linux.janfaerber.com

    Jan Faerber, Jan 9, 2005
  7. Jan Faerber

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > Jan Faerber <jancfaerber_spider@monkey_hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Why don't they fix this?
    > >
    > >http://www.cleverlearn.com/en/index.jsp

    > Why don't you ask them?
    > Telepathy isn't generally advertised as a skill by alt.html
    > participants.

    I didn't not mention one thing about this in my e-mail. I only
    subscribed to their newsletter.

    > My guess is that they only bothered to test in IE6 and so think that
    > it's perfectly okay. (Though I get something very off happening with
    > the text in the bottom right corner in IE6, but other than that it's
    > nowhere near as broken as it is in IE5, Firefox or Opera.)
    >
    > Steve

    Now they fixed it.

    --
    Jan

    http://html.janfaerber.com

    Jan Faerber, Feb 20, 2005
  8. Jan Faerber

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Jan Faerber" <> wrote:
    >Steve Pugh wrote:
    >> Jan Faerber <jancfaerber_spider@monkey_hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Why don't they fix this?
    >> >
    >> >http://www.cleverlearn.com/en/index.jsp

    >> Why don't you ask them?
    >> Telepathy isn't generally advertised as a skill by alt.html
    >> participants.

    >I didn't not mention one thing about this in my e-mail.

    The e-mail that you sent to them asking why their site is so broken?
    Or some other e-mail that is somehow (?) relevant?

    > I only subscribed to their newsletter.

    Why not mention that? The site is broken, as a subscriber to their
    newsletter you want to know why. Seems reasonable.

    >> My guess is that they only bothered to test in IE6 and so think that
    >> it's perfectly okay. (Though I get something very off happening with
    >> the text in the bottom right corner in IE6, but other than that it's
    >> nowhere near as broken as it is in IE5, Firefox or Opera.)

    >Now they fixed it.

    Not really.

    JavaScript error in IE5.
    Missing text in Opera.
    Text is resizable in IE.
    Really screwed if images are disabled.
    Can't be bothered to look any more.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Feb 20, 2005
  9. Jan Faerber

    Richard Guest

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:02:59 +0000 Steve Pugh wrote:

    > "Jan Faerber" <> wrote:
    >>Steve Pugh wrote:

    >>> Why don't you ask them?
    >>> Telepathy isn't generally advertised as a skill by alt.html
    >>> participants.

    >>I didn't not mention one thing about this in my e-mail.

    > The e-mail that you sent to them asking why their site is so broken?
    > Or some other e-mail that is somehow (?) relevant?

    >> I only subscribed to their newsletter.

    > Why not mention that? The site is broken, as a subscriber to their
    > newsletter you want to know why. Seems reasonable.

    >>> My guess is that they only bothered to test in IE6 and so think that
    >>> it's perfectly okay. (Though I get something very off happening with
    >>> the text in the bottom right corner in IE6, but other than that it's
    >>> nowhere near as broken as it is in IE5, Firefox or Opera.)

    >>Now they fixed it.

    > Not really.

    > JavaScript error in IE5.
    > Missing text in Opera.
    > Text is resizable in IE.
    > Really screwed if images are disabled.
    > Can't be bothered to look any more.

    Oh please. I can tell IE to ignore the given text size all I want and do.
    Why? To avoid having to read 6px high text.
    In Firefox I press ctrl and + or - to change the text size.

    Most of us know though, that if a site doesn't conform to the standards of
    Steve Pugh, it's a shitty site.

    Richard, Feb 21, 2005
  10. Jan Faerber

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    >> JavaScript error in IE5.
    >> Missing text in Opera.
    >> Text is resizable in IE.
    >> Really screwed if images are disabled.
    >> Can't be bothered to look any more.

    >Oh please. I can tell IE to ignore the given text size all I want and do.

    Yes, by disabling all font size styling. In an option that's buried
    three levels deep inside the preferences. Under 'accessibility' not
    under 'fonts'. Not very convenient to switch on and off as needed. The
    normal method (view > font size) doesn't work.

    >Why? To avoid having to read 6px high text.

    Personally I set a minimum font size of 12px in my browser
    preferences.

    >In Firefox I press ctrl and + or - to change the text size.

    Well done. But that's in Firefox, not in IE.

    >Most of us know though, that if a site doesn't conform to the standards of
    >Steve Pugh, it's a shitty site.

    Most of us know that, that if a site was built by Richard, it's a
    shitty site.

    Steve Pugh, Feb 21, 2005
  11. Jan Faerber

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Steve Pugh::::::Monday 21 February 2005
    10:00:::<>:::alt.html ... output:

    >>> JavaScript error in IE5.
    >>> Missing text in Opera.
    >>> Text is resizable in IE.
    >>> Really screwed if images are disabled.
    >>> Can't be bothered to look any more.

    >>Oh please. I can tell IE to ignore the given text size all I want and do.

    > Yes, by disabling all font size styling. In an option that's buried
    > three levels deep inside the preferences. Under 'accessibility' not
    > under 'fonts'. Not very convenient to switch on and off as needed. The
    > normal method (view > font size) doesn't work.
    >
    >>Why? To avoid having to read 6px high text.

    > Personally I set a minimum font size of 12px in my browser
    > preferences.
    >
    >>In Firefox I press ctrl and + or - to change the text size.

    > Well done. But that's in Firefox, not in IE.
    >
    >>Most of us know though, that if a site doesn't conform to the standards of
    >>Steve Pugh, it's a shitty site.

    > Most of us know that, that if a site was built by Richard, it's a
    > shitty site.
    >
    > Steve

    For me it looks OK with Opera and Mozilla now! It is actually the same.

    BTW: I don't know why a screencap of rf in the thread "Opinions" with
    Mozilla looks different to my Mozilla.

    I have -
    Mozilla 1.4.1
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4.1) Gecko/20031114
    I still haven't found any time to install more browsers.

    --
    Jan

    http://html.janfaerber.com

    Jan Faerber, Feb 21, 2005
  12. Jan Faerber

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Jan Faerber <> wrote:

    >For me it looks OK with Opera and Mozilla now! It is actually the same.

    The text in the lowermost box on the right hand side gets cut off in
    Opera with my settings. Your settings are probably different.

    >BTW: I don't know why a screencap of rf in the thread "Opinions" with
    >Mozilla looks different to my Mozilla.
    >
    >I have -
    >Mozilla 1.4.1

    Current version is 1.7.5, I think that's your answer right there.
    Though different default font sizes, etc. can also play a part.

    Steve Pugh, Feb 21, 2005
  13. Jan Faerber

    woogiex1 Guest

    woogiex1, Feb 22, 2005