Why IIS could not release DLL which have been used in ASP page.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Bo, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. Bo

    Bo Guest

    HI guys:
    I use vb create a DLL compoment(SessionManger.dll) which is used in
    ASP page.

    in ASP page(test.asp) code:
    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%response.buffer = true%>
    <%
    dim Session
    set Session = server.CreateObject("SessionMgr.Session2")
    Session("UserName")="gc"

    Set Session=Nothing
    %>

    In IE, when launch test.asp , and after a while close it, I founld
    SessionManger.dll file is still being in the memory, and have to
    restart IIS.
    Bo, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Bo

    Patrice Guest

    For the sake of scalability.

    It is kept in memory likely until the application ends or after a period of
    time (I believe you can configure this in COM+) so that if you need it again
    in the next few seconds, you don't have to reload the DLL...

    Patrice

    Patrice, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Bo

    Phill. W Guest

    "Bo" <> wrote in message
    > I use vb create a DLL compoment(SessionManger.dll)

    .. . .
    > In IE, when launch test.asp, and after a while close it, I found
    > SessionManger.dll file is still being in the memory, and have to
    > restart IIS.

    Yep. That's just what IIS does.

    Possible solutions -

    Restart IIS, but you know that one already.

    Change the Virtual Directory for your application so that is runs
    "Highly Isolated"; that way you can [usually] unload just the
    application, without having to take the whole web server down.

    When developing your DLL, start it (with full-Compile) in the VB
    IDE and let it get loaded by the web page. With a /bit/ of luck, it
    should stop on any breakpoints you care to put into your code
    /and/ you can stop and restart the project as and when you need to.
    It's only when the compiled DLL gets loaded that this trouble appears.

    HTH,
    Phill W.
    Phill. W, Feb 25, 2005