Why is C compiler stubborn ?

Charlton Wilbur

p> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=typecast

p> I never have and never will use a standard English dictionary
p> to get the definition of a technical term in C programming. I
p> am vehemently opposed to doing that.

.....which is exactly what you did in the post I responded to.

Your opposition does not seem to be as vehement as you claim it is, sir.

Charlton

santosh

pete said:
No.
"Typecast" isn't a technical term in C programming.

In a sense it is, if you consider that a large corpus of C programmers
use that term. It's just not described in the Standard.

pete

santosh said:
pete wrote:

In a sense it is, if you consider that a large corpus of C programmers
use that term.

In that same sense,
a C programmer should also cast the return value of malloc.

The errors that regularly get corrected on this newsgroup
are committed by a large corpus of C programmers.

Chris Dollin

Bob said:
What's with all you people rushing forward to boast of your ignorance?
Your not having come across "typecast" proves nothing.

You implied that not having come across the term "typecast" meant that
one hadn't done serious Pascal programming.

It now appears even the ignorant (or perhaps just the ancient) can write
serious Pascal programs without knowing the term "typecast". Yes?