Why is this an invalid password?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by David Thielen, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. Hi;

    Note: I am running this from a winforms app, not ASP.NET. My config is:
    private static string memberConfig = "<add
    name='AspNetSqlMembershipProvider' " +
    "connectionStringName='MembershipSqlServer'
    enablePasswordRetrieval='false' " +
    "enablePasswordReset='true' requiresQuestionAndAnswer='false'
    applicationName='/WindwardPortal' " +
    "requiresUniqueEmail='false' passwordFormat='Hashed'
    maxInvalidPasswordAttempts='5' " +
    "minRequiredPasswordLength='5' minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters='0'
    passwordAttemptWindow='10'/>";

    And for a password of "pass1234" it says InvalidPassword

    Any ideas?

    --
    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net

    David Thielen, Nov 28, 2006

  2. Never mind - dumb error (was going to web.config rather than to my string).

    David Thielen, Nov 28, 2006

  3. On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:51:01 -0800, David Thielen
    <> wrote:

    >Hi;
    >
    >Note: I am running this from a winforms app, not ASP.NET. My config is:
    > private static string memberConfig = "<add
    >name='AspNetSqlMembershipProvider' " +
    > "connectionStringName='MembershipSqlServer'
    >enablePasswordRetrieval='false' " +
    > "enablePasswordReset='true' requiresQuestionAndAnswer='false'
    >applicationName='/WindwardPortal' " +
    > "requiresUniqueEmail='false' passwordFormat='Hashed'
    >maxInvalidPasswordAttempts='5' " +
    > "minRequiredPasswordLength='5' minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters='0'
    >passwordAttemptWindow='10'/>";
    >
    >And for a password of "pass1234" it says InvalidPassword
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Not really but the memberConfig string assignment suggests you need to
    investigate using an app.config file.

    regards
    A.G.

    Registered User, Nov 28, 2006
  4. Hello Dave,

    Do you mean the problem here is targeting another error in your web.config
    file rather than your winform user creation code and the password you
    passed in it, correct? As far as I know, when you use the
    SqlMembershipProvider to create the user, it will follow the rules you
    defined in the NameValueCollection during the initialize time.

    Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else we can help.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 28, 2006