Why no perl style 'use strict' in ruby.

Ben Edwards

First let me say I much prefer developing in ruby that perl. Ive been
developing in both for about three months (maintaining old perl
scripts and doing new stuff in ruby).

I am however not totaly sure why ruby does not have something like
perls 'use strict'. It seems that use strict is safer and can help
you spot errors qucker. I also have to confess that I prefer strong
predefined typing for the same reason but understand this may not be
as OO.

Peoples thoughts pleas,
Ben
--
Ben Edwards - Bristol, UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41303704@N00/ - have a look at my pics

James Edward Gray II

I am however not totaly sure why ruby does not have something like
perls 'use strict'.

The strict pragma does three things in Perl. Two of the items are to
forbid the use of symbolic references and "barewords." Ruby doesn't
support these features, so it's not an issue.

The other feature of the strict pragma is to avoid creating random
global variables every time one is mentioned. In Ruby, globals look
different from other variables (the leading $), so this is not really
a problem. Local variables need to be assigned to before use, since
that's Ruby's method of declaration. That solves the same problem
the strict pragma handles for Perl.

James Edward Gray II