Bill said:
From: "David Vallner" <[email protected]>
I was still writing Amiga games when DooM came out for
the PC. One could buy an 8-bit graphics card for the
PC and play DooM. There was just no practical equivalent
on the Amiga... The thought of trying to implement a
game like DooM in 8 or even 6 bitplanes... A nightmare.
Some folks made some demos, as I recall, and they ran
predictably slow.

There were certainly other factors in the Amiga's
demise... but I think the entrenchment of its aging
hardware architecture, and the difficulty for any third
party to develop a plug-in gfx or sound card that was
compatible with the OS, was a huge nail in the poor
platform's coffin...

Bill, Very cool history! I really learned a lot from your post and was
always curious as to the demise (and structure) of the Amiga. I really
appreciate the info.. thanks again

On a side note, my HiMem skills were mediocre at best but I was pretty
good at cleaning up all the damage that QuarterdeckMM would do.. :)

ilan